How Often Do You Change Swimming H2O?

We’re in Utah so we’ve been in a drought all year also. We used to do little kiddie pools but they crack to easily and I was sick of buying them. We have an old sled we use for moving fire wood in winter that we now use as the ducks pool. It’s small enough to dump and refill everyday. We just move it around everyday to where we have dry spots in the grass so their splashing and when we dump it is “watering” the spots that really need it. The sled looks really similar to the cement mixing tubs everyone is talking about, so I would recommend those. Someone asked about those in winter, once they freeze they’re super easy to just dump the ice and refill, the ice doesn’t stick. In this picture there are 3 large ducks all swimming in it at the same time, they seem just fine in taking turns with the pool so we only use the one. Hope this helps!

Attachments

• ABD27815-43EB-470C-9D89-401326A92AF1.jpeg
    ABD27815-43EB-470C-9D89-401326A92AF1.jpeg
    955.7 KB · Views: 7
I have 2 ducks who swim almost constantly (Runner and Saxony) and one who spends maybe an hour swimming daily (Swedish). The other 2 (Welsh Harlequin and Pekin) don't swim much at all, preferring to do the head dunk. 2000-3000 gallons are doable, if that will keep the little darlings happy and healthy. We'll see...

I *will* figure out a setup that I can live with. And my next pond will also function well enough that I'll be able to sleep at night.

Thanks for all of your input. It's very helpful, and I appreciate it. I may experiment and document it, ala elementary school science projects. That could be fun...
Having a system that is easy to maintain is a must with ducks as they are such poopers! A large pond like that you’ll want to look into what koi keepers use. Bottoms drains and settling chambers would be high on the list. And PLANTS. You want tons of plants to process their waste.

Perhaps my setup can steer you in a positive direction. My setup should be in my profile under my coop. Here’s a couple of pics.

Early Spring

F85477D9-136A-4E0E-8352-38B56B33E14A.png

Summer
403DC629-863F-417C-BB9D-195C36E711F1.jpeg

self replenishing duck water bowl.
9E65F6BA-ABE8-4482-AC23-63473226EB9A.jpeg

and just for fun the new babies watching my seahorses swimming lazily by.
B231E0B0-306A-4BEC-92D5-5257C7F3CA8E.jpeg

Having a system that is easy to maintain is a must with ducks as they are such poopers! A large pond like that you’ll want to look into what koi keepers use. Bottoms drains and settling chambers would be high on the list. And PLANTS. You want tons of plants to process their waste.

Perhaps my setup can steer you in a positive direction. My setup should be in my profile under my coop. Here’s a couple of pics.

Early Spring

View attachment 2931308

Summer
View attachment 2931310

self replenishing duck water bowl.
View attachment 2931309

and just for fun the new babies watching my seahorses swimming lazily by.
View attachment 2931311
That's a really nice set up!

Back
Top Bottom