How often do you change your quail beddings?

You were talking to me? It's because I'm in the city. Pet shops are insanely expensive and for things you can find free in nature. That really gets on my nerves. After that covid thing I'll find better solutions I hope. Now we are in the middle of the quarantine and I can't do much. Shavings created a lot of problems to my drains too. Both in the kitchen where I kept the chicks and the balcony where I keep the cage
I was thinking, maybe for @Soaker ?
Normally we have problems getting stuff to Hawaii, but I'm on the outskirts near agricultural land. I guess for me, I figure if someone in Honolulu can get it, there's a chance others can too.

I use shavings in boxes in a wire cage. I add more when they throw them out. Only now that is cold. Usually they have only their sand boxes and only one box with shavings to rest their feet from the wire. I used to put dirt but I don't like the smell. I don't like shavings eather because I think they are expensive from the pet shop. They have told me paper ink could harm them. Straw would be better I think
I did some research after you said this. all I can find is how newspaper and flyers inks today are made from soy and water something something and they usually aren't toxic at all. people say they absorb smell better, but I don't really know since I haven't tried other things. i was just wondering what other people were using for quails inside.

I did some research after you said this. all I can find is how newspaper and flyers inks today are made from soy and water something something and they usually aren't toxic at all. people say they absorb smell better, but I don't really know since I haven't tried other things. i was just wondering what other people were using for quails inside.
Before BYC I was in a similar Greek platform. Big community but only exotic birds, parrots ect. Nobody could help me with quails. They used to say that about ink. But maybe these birds are more fragile. Oh, and a farmer friend of mine told me, it's bad if they eat it. But if you use it for a long time and they are ok it sounds fine

I use an absorbent paper bedding like carefresh for my indoor button quails. It’s the best, I change it once a week but honestly feel like it could last two weeks, because they have a decent amount of space and only live in pairs.

Back
Top Bottom