How often do you change your quail beddings?

Soaker

In the Brooder
Dec 23, 2020
I have 4 adult quails and I use shredded newspaper/flyers as bedding and change them every 2-4 days. Just wondering what you use and how often do you change it?

I used dirt and I don't have to change often.
They fling it out on their own so I just add to it weekly.

I'd think that newpaper would get nasty quick and if I used that I'd probably change it DAILY.

I use a very fine horse stall bedding I found at my local tsc (it must be a special regional thing because it’s not on their website) it’s very fine so they can mix up all their poop in with it and it kinda mixes all together nicely, I have 12 ina 5x5 coop and change it monthly.

I used dirt and I don't have to change often.
They fling it out on their own so I just add to it weekly.

I'd think that newpaper would get nasty quick and if I used that I'd probably change it DAILY.
This is what it looks like after 2 days, their feet looks very clean, so I wouldn't say it'll be nasty. Sometimes they make little nests around themselves with the shredded paper, and it's so cute.
16088497875613980704393662780797.jpg

I use shavings in boxes in a wire cage. I add more when they throw them out. Only now that is cold. Usually they have only their sand boxes and only one box with shavings to rest their feet from the wire. I used to put dirt but I don't like the smell. I don't like shavings eather because I think they are expensive from the pet shop. They have told me paper ink could harm them. Straw would be better I think

Do you have a feed store nearby?I can usually get a bale of shavings for under $15. Found out how great that stuff is and made a box for the indoor bunny too. It keeps the cage fresh for twice as long.

Do you have a feed store nearby?I can usually get a bale of shavings for under $15. Found out how great that stuff is and made a box for the indoor bunny too. It keeps the cage fresh for twice as long.
I think they live in Greece, and many things are more expensive than other areas.

You were talking to me? It's because I'm in the city. Pet shops are insanely expensive and for things you can find free in nature. That really gets on my nerves. After that covid thing I'll find better solutions I hope. Now we are in the middle of the quarantine and I can't do much. Shavings created a lot of problems to my drains too. Both in the kitchen where I kept the chicks and the balcony where I keep the cage

Back
Top Bottom