How often do you "clean up"?

r4eboxer

Crooked Creek Poultry
8 Years
Sep 20, 2011
Fairmont
So my geese area doing very well, the male that was a really dirty boy is beginning to get clean now since he has access to the large pond. I have a question though, the stool has gotten solid now. (no longer stressed) Of course they picked the spot where my bench is located to use a "their" spot so I have nastyness all around. I am planning on starting another compost pile at the end of the pumpkin patch and moving the waste there.

It got me wondering how often everyone has to clean up after the geese. I'm thinking I may have to twice a week, oh and I am going to move my bench.
sickbyc.gif

Umm… well I don’t clean up after them. My geese have free rang over our 140 acres so they poop anywhere they want. I do clean up if they ever go on the porch but that is the only time I clean up after them. I clean their night time pen very often though.

We are warm pretty much year round so I clean their stalls weekly, pools every other day, water buckets daily. They free range so unless they come up on the rear patio or on the porch of my brooding house no need to clean anywhere else. The rain takes care of the green space.

Mine are confined to the orchard and their poop is just fertilizer for the trees.

I don't have them up on my deck, but if I did, I'd be cleaning the poop off every day. Or actually, I'd use some kennel panels to keep them off the deck.

Mine free range too, but they don't really go far. They have 30 acres they could explore but the only place they seem to go is in the pond and right beside my bench. I have only had them 6 days, I hope they venture out more because I am going to need to clean the area up beside my bench a lot if not. I thought it was strange that they did not wander around more and I think it is. Maybe when they get more comfortable they will explore some?

I clean up their night pen daily by either raking out any yuckiness or turning the top bedding in. Their night pen has 2 water containers, one that I change daily and the other every 5 days or so. Then they free range in my huge garden all day. I only clean the spots they poop that are a problem (walkways, etc.). Most days I only spend a few minutes, then every week or two I have to really spend some time at it with a wheelbarrow. Using a hose to blast the poop in my walkways and grassy areas works great and is really fast.

Quote:
Mine free range too, well my 1 goose and 10 ducks, but they spend alot of time hanging out at the back door, so I clean up every day.

LOL @ spend a lot of time at the back door. Do you ever let them in?
gig.gif

Quote:
Mine would never go where they couldn't see over the top of the weeds. I mowed paths to the pond, to the swamp, and various clearings. The geese pretty much kept the weeds down on their favorite paths and their favored clearing slowly got larger. About the only place I felt the need to clean was the walkway to the front door and the boarding Area in the driveway. Seems the little buggers would stroll and feed anywhere but spent a lot of time sitting on paved areas [nap time] and of course poop is where ever they spent thier time. I used to hose those spots even if they were napping there, woke them up and they loved the shower.

Back
Top Bottom