how often do you clean your coop

I scrape the poop board and scoop the sand every day. I clean the run every 3 weeks or so and pull out the roost and poop board for a proper cleaning.

I'm a clean freak as well. In our coop the whole floor is lined with linoleum. I put Pine shavings on top of that so they can lay on it. It's never a mess where they lay. On the other side of coop is there perches and under that I line it with newspaper and that I roll up every morning and toss out into a barrel which I keep close by. I do this every morning after I get done reading the paper. It works out nicely. The pine shavings I average once a month. But probably could go longer.

Last edited:
During the Spring, Summer and Fall I clean my run everyday and the roof /sides of the coop which has a lower small run. I hose it out while my girls are out and about. Use a coop clean product that is enviro friendly , brush the coop and hose it down again. Winter not so easy because I can't run the hose out (It gets cold here in the Mid-Hudson Valley of NY)so...I put down lots of pine shavings. Take out poop covered shavings daily (both coop and runs)and put them in the compost pile. I put lots of pine shavings in the coop daily to help keep them warm.

I use oxine unactivated. It disinfects and is very safe. I wash my eggs that I sell with oxine too. :)

Where can you buy oxine

As far as I know, only online. It's very concentrated and my bottle lasts a year. I use it quite a bit too.

Oxine is safe enough to put in the chickens waterer to keep the bacteria out. If you use this, make sure you don't use an activator. There's instructions how to use right on the bottle right down to washing eggs. I personally wouldn't use anything else except the oxine. It's $26-30 a bottle, but worth every penny in my opinion. I look around to see where it's the cheapest and free shipping.

My coop has 1/2" construction wire base so the dropping drop into removable drawers. They are cleaned as needed depending on season and smell and depth of dropping. Cleaning includes scrapping, hosing down, mild bleach solution spray and when dry and coating of lime.

My run is 22' x 8' dirt floor. I put my grass clippings in for the chicks to scratch around in and to absorb the poop. I rake it out about every week when I mow and have fresh grass. More often if it rains and grass stays wet.

Won
As far as I know, only online. It's very concentrated and my bottle lasts a year. I use it quite a bit too.

Oxine is safe enough to put in the chickens waterer to keep the bacteria out. If you use this, make sure you don't use an activator. There's instructions how to use right on the bottle right down to washing eggs. I personally wouldn't use anything else except the oxine. It's $26-30 a bottle, but worth every penny in my opinion. I look around to see where it's the cheapest and free shipping.

Wonderful. Thank u. I will have to search for it.

I wash out my waterers everyday! Use white vinegar before I bring them in the house. They are plastic so them I run them through the sanitizing cycle of the dishwasher.

What about the ladder?

I leave my ladder up so it's horizontal and some of the hens like to roost up there during the day to get away from Penny, the mean hen. This means the ladder is covered with poop.

Do I hose it off?
How often?
Do I just scrape it?

What the heck do you use to scrape it?

Back
Top Bottom