How often do you clean your poop boards?

How many Birds? 7 bantams & 2 turkey
Adult, adolescent, chicks? adult bantams & teen turkey
Small or Medium or large breed? mixed
What is the total length of your roost? 6'
What is the size of the coop? 12 x 7
How often do you clean it? 2 times per month (roost are 2' off the ground & cement mixing buckets slide under) I dumped in compost pile than add more wood chips, de & pdz)

I have a dozen toddlers in 4x5 area with double roost
I also have 1 brooder 2x6 & a 2x6 coop ( that has a bantam brahma sitting on eggs)

I have a 12x12 cement block coop that has been split up in 3 rooms &2x6 coop & brooder are 4, off ground!

Clean up takes me about a half an hour (there are times in winter I clean once a month I will just add more de & pdz) & it still only takes a half an hour! (that includes time to talk to all poultry!!!

oops for got a room!!!
8 large
adult
6, double (self under I hold bin uder shelf & scrap off with large putty knife & have wood chips, de & pdz on shelf)
6x4
same as others!

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:

Last week everything was frozen for me too. My paint scraper was pulling chunks over 2 feet long of poop. It made me start thinking of getting something a little more heavy duty to do the job.

OK....I will say it offically.... (now that I'm not the highest any more)
big_smile.png

I only clean the poop board ......... Once a week.
hide.gif

Quote:
Well.... I'll just say I work during the week and it is dark when I leave and dark when i get home. So that only leaves me with 2 days of working during the daylight. I know you must think I'm raising pigs over here and not chickens.

the coop is very dry and ventilated very well. It does not smell. Maybe I should look into DE or Stall dry if things start to get bad.

Maybe instead of stall-dri you should see an eye-ear-nose-throat doctor!
gig.gif
gig.gif
gig.gif
gig.gif
gig.gif

Sorry, My funny bone is working overtime. I couldn't resist. Maybe it is a caffeine buzz!
big_smile.png

Quote:
Well.... I'll just say I work during the week and it is dark when I leave and dark when i get home. So that only leaves me with 2 days of working during the daylight. I know you must think I'm raising pigs over here and not chickens.

the coop is very dry and ventilated very well. It does not smell. Maybe I should look into DE or Stall dry if things start to get bad.

Maybe instead of stall-dri you should see an eye-ear-nose-throat doctor!
gig.gif
gig.gif
gig.gif
gig.gif
gig.gif

Sorry, My funny bone is working overtime. I couldn't resist. Maybe it is a caffeine buzz!
big_smile.png

lau.gif

I thought my nose is one of the things that was working correctly. Maybe not
big_smile.png

My wife thinks it is weird that I enjoy the smells of a farm, brings me back to my Grandparents farm. Nothing better than spreading cow manure on a warm summer's day.
wee.gif

so glad I found this post!!

How many Birds? 34

Adult, adolescent, chicks? adolescent

Small or Medium or large breed? all heavies (on my sig)

What is the total length of your roost? 36' I have 3 roosts 12' long about a foot from each other at different heights. My droppings board is about 8" below the lowest roost and collects for all 3 roosts (about 3' wide by the full length of 12'

What is the size of the coop? 8'x12'

How often do you clean it? during the summer, I only scraped the droppings board on Saturdays. yes, it was enough to fill a 5 gallon bucket, but it didn't get too smelly. Now that it's winter, we took it down a few weeks ago to insulate the coop, but we need to get it back up this weekend because the coop is a mess!! I'll have to clean all the bedding on the ground (deep litter) I really like the idea of newspaper on the droppings board, I may even clean it more than once a week! lol
lau.gif

4 adult hens, small "playhouse" coop; daily.

I just have a plastic plant tray under there. Very easy to dump into the compost tumbler behind the coop and hose off. I don't like to make my birdies "live in their own droppings" to borrow a phrase from poster Ruth.

OK: I have been "inspired" by this post to add droppings boards under the roost. (I never had one before. I haven't cleaned the coop since Dec. 1 and I have had no trouble with smell or moisture buildup. The shavings are still loose and dusty.) So today I was out in the coop installing the boards under the end of the roost that my 8 hens and 1 roo usually use. (Funny, tonight when I went in there to get something I noticed that a couple of them are at the other end now. I think they're a bit wary of "those new things under our perch".) Anyways... I think I'll clean them off tomorrow and perhaps put some DE on them. I would like to not have to clean the litter until next spring once they are moved outside!!! Thanks for your inspiration.

Back
Top Bottom