How often do you give your ducks swimming water?

purplepillbug73

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 6, 2009
Silver City
During the summer, I would fill up the kiddie pool every other day and dump it the next morning so they had one day on, one day off. But now that its getting cold, I've been filling it up only once or twice a week. Is that enough? How frequently do you let your ducks go swimming?

I keep it full for them everyday so far. This is my first winter tho with ducks, but we don't get snow or really cold weather. It does get below freezing often and sometimes it gets in the teens, so I guess I will see what happens. If they keep using it, I will keep it full for them.

Every day. The ducks don't care if it is cold
big_smile.png

Quote:
Same here. I get the stink eye if the pool isn't filled and waiting for them when they are let out in the mornings.

I always keep the kiddie pool full. In warm weather I dump every other day or so. When it gets cold maybe once a week for clean water. They don't seem to mind.

I give mine fresh swimming water everyday, until it freezes. We dont have a spiggot near the barn, yet, and it is now too cold to hook the hose up to the house and run it to the pasture. So I carry it in 5 gallon buckets from the bathtub, inside, to the barn, about 50 yards. Right now it isnt so bad I make about 5 trips in the morning and then 2 in the afternoon to refill drinking buckets. Good workout but not practical. Once snow and ice hit, any day now, the swimming water will not be liquid and I wont be carrying multilple 5 gallon buckets through 3 feet or more of snow. Until we get the pond dug and the spiggot places, they have to go without swimming in the winter round here.

Back
Top Bottom