How often do you let your flock out?

I have 2 pot belly pigs that are fenced in a 75' x 75' area by farm fence. I go out in the mornings and escourt the chickens from their chicken coop and run area to the pig pen. All the young birds and roosters go first. Everybody else hangs out in the coop and run area until they have taken care of some egg laying business. Later in the day, I escourt all the laying hens to the pot belly pigs pen.

About 1 - 2 hours before sunset, I escourt all the birds from the pigs' pen to the coop. I do all this escourt because there are dogs that run wild sometimes. My farm fencing won't stop a bobcat, but it does stop the domisticated dogs.

I agree that its good to let them roam about - if possible ... our six girls (red sex-links) have a 4 X 8 coop and 8 X 8 run ... they come out every morning then we let them free range daily from about 5:00 until they head in at sunset. I doubt they would be happy if they stayed in the coop all day during the nice weather!!!! Now I'm worried that they won't have enough space in the coop when the weather gets really cold ... just like other posts - I wish my girls had a bigger coop .... perhaps I need to convince my hubby to make the coop bigger (slim chance)
hu.gif
idunno.gif
fl.gif
hit.gif
love.gif

Best of luck with your coop and run ... your chickens are lucky to have you caring for them!!!!

Quote:
Just make sure you put the wire on the outside of the posts--you're fencing predators out, not the chickens in--and use long, u-shaped, fence staples. I use 1-3/4" galvanized fence staples.

Yes with the new wire that we are getting I will only be using poultry staples (galvanized of course, can't have any rusting). I think they are only 3/4 inch but they have tines and are just about the hardest thing to remove. The only problem is welded wire is awfully pricey, but if I cannot find any (I just joined my local Freecycle group) I will have to make the investment. These birds are beginning to become quite expensive. I guess the hope is that I will never have to buy eggs again and in doing so (or not doing rather) they will pay for themselves. This may not be true, but one can only hope.........

Quote:
Tell me about it . . . I just spent $90 on tin roofing. My poor birds were getting drowned everytime it rain. We tried old tarps and we tried plastic under the tarps. NOTHING kept the babies from swimming !

How many eggs do I have to eat before I can justify the $90 ? ? ?

Quote:
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif

I think our first egg cost around $950. All the rest are free.
smile.png

P.S. Good free range/yard eggs go for about $3/dozen in many places. How long does it take you to eat 30 dozen eggs? It's going to take me about 10 years to pay for my first egg. You're way ahead of me!
gig.gif
gig.gif

That is looking at it with the glass half empty instead of half full. You INVESTED in your property value by adding a home ADDITION of chicken coop.

Since having chickens is getting more popular more people would like a house with an existing coop, or perhaps you can do like us and have a coop capable of being disassembled and taken with you if need be and in that case you have INVESTED in a lifetime hobby and source of eggs.

Easy for me to say, my husband is a junk collector and managed to assemble almost our entire coop and run from "recycled" materials.

As far as letting my flock out....mine have the door open today, but the rain is coming down and they are in there hiding still.

I think some additional posts would be good as well, and you will know if they get bored. You will have pecking issues. The bigger the better. I think they pay for themselves. Not only with meat and eggs, but pure entertainment.. Good luck!
pop.gif

I mean the bigger the coop the better. Sorry, long day. I also let mine out around 6:30 or 7, till dusk. I usually have to have a gun nearby. There are an amazing amount of dogs loose in the county. Plus the neighbors chicken eating lab. I've had 5 out of 12 killed in the last month.

Quote:
hit.gif
hit.gif
That is terrible
hit.gif
hit.gif
Did the neighbors pay for replacement POL pullets. I would think after buying a few $10 - $20 chickens is would become clear that they should do something with their dog.

Back
Top Bottom