How often do your hens go broody?

Jamesthesilkie

Songster
Jan 5, 2020
North Carolina
My only hen recently got taken by a predator due to unfortunate circumstances that I'd rather not discuss. I now have a new hen from a friend that is about 18 months old. She already went broody this year, do you guys think she will go broody again for me this year? My hen went broody in the winter and that was it. I refuse to raise poults inside, unless I have to for unforseen reasons. If she won't go broody until next year, that's ok. I'm just happy I have her, and my tom is no longer alone.

My only hen recently got taken by a predator due to unfortunate circumstances that I'd rather not discuss. I now have a new hen from a friend that is about 18 months old. She already went broody this year, do you guys think she will go broody again for me this year? My hen went broody in the winter and that was it. I refuse to raise poults inside, unless I have to for unforseen reasons. If she won't go broody until next year, that's ok. I'm just happy I have her, and my tom is no longer alone.
Each turkey is its own individual. It is very common for a hen to go broody multiple times a year if they are not allowed to raise their poults. You won't know what will happen until she gets over the stress of the move and starts laying.

I have a buff o and she was broody about three times this year so far. We don't have a rooster so total waste of her time. I've had a lot of chickens that were never broody, and this one is the all time champ. I think it's the breed. She is my only Buff O, I usually just have Barred Rocks, Buff Rocks.

I have a buff o and she was broody about three times this year so far. We don't have a rooster so total waste of her time. I've had a lot of chickens that were never broody, and this one is the all time champ. I think it's the breed. She is my only Buff O, I usually just have Barred Rocks, Buff Rocks.
Chicken behavior has nothing to do with turkey behavior.

What variety are your turkeys?

My new hen is a royal palm. I've only ever owned narragansetts before. Come to think of it, my previous hen went broody in December 2020 and went broody again this spring around April. Sadly she never got to hatch her babies 😔
If you breed your Narragansett tom with the new royal palm hen you should get Narragansett semi-color semi gray poults. Hopefully she goes broody for you soon. My royal palm hens are very broody for me they sit nests well.

Back
Top Bottom