How often should free range chicken be dewormed?

Maiahr

Crowing
Jul 21, 2019
Bulgaria, a country in Eastern Europe
My Coop
My Coop
I have several free range flocks. I have dewormed in December last year and they DID have round worms in the poops (some extremely long 😖). When should I do a next course?
Also - how often for tape/flat worms? I heard tape/flat worms develop slower, so once every 6 months is enough.
I use Levamisole in the water for 3 days and it works really well, and no withdrawal period. I was told Levamisole is effective against all but flat/tape worms. But my main question is about frequency.
Any advice?

PS I know some people do not recommend deworming unless there is a serious health ussue, but one of my free range flocks are layers, I sell the eggs and when they have worms the size of the eggs is much smaller than when they are worm free.

Last edited:
I have several free range flocks. I have dewormed in December last year and they DID have round worms in the poops (some extremely long 😖). When should I do a next course?
Also - how often for tape/flat worms? I heard tape/flat worms develop slower, so once every 6 months is enough.
I use Levamisole in the water for 3 days and it works really well, and no withdrawal period. I was told Levamisole is effective against all but flat/tape worms. But my main question is about frequency.
Any advice?

PS I know some people do not recommend deworming unless there is a serious health ussue, but one of my free range flocks are layers, I sell the eggs and when they have worms the size of the eggs is much smaller than when they are worm free.
I'm gonna worm yearly. I read to do it at the end of summer so that they can't pick up more until winter is over.

How often, and with what product, depends totally on where you live, and what your parasites your flock has at the time. There's no plan that works for everyone!
In the USA, levamisol is off the table for chickens, only fenbendazole is approved, and it doesn't treat every type of tapeworm.
Having fecals run, if possible, is your best indicator of what's present at that moment in your flock, and it really depends on what's present in the soil they live on. For other livestock, moving them to clean ground, so time passes before chickens are inhabiting that site, helps to decrease the parasites present.
One area might be heavily infested, and another area, not. Freezing winters help, but not totally.
What do your regional or national poultry experts say?
Mary

Thank you @Folly's place .
We do not have national neither regional poultry experts... That's why I am reading articles and posts here.
Fecals run - is this the same as fecal float test?
And yes, I am aware Levamisole doesn't kill tapeworms. I have used praziquantel in the past and it works with tapeworms, but my question was rather about the frequency.
So then... How long does it take for a round worm to grow and develop to a "dangerous" length?

Yes, it's a fecal float test. Most roundworms develop from eggs to worm in two weeks or so, but then to maturity, I don't know. You can google the Merck veterinary manual, lots of good information there. And there's a big difference from having birds with a few roundworms, and that overwhelming infection.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom