How often should I clean my coop and run?

black_cat

♥♥Lover of Leghorns♥♥
May 21, 2020
Connecticut
I had originally thought I'd do it about every week or so, but I heard from friends that you don't have to? I'm still sort of deciding on bedding but am probably going to go with sand in the run and pine shavings in the coop.

I had originally thought I'd do it about every week or so, but I heard from friends that you don't have to? I'm still sort of deciding on bedding but am probably going to go with sand in the run and pine shavings in the coop.
That's how Im going to set it up. I will do sand in my covered run and pine or hemp in the coop. I would do sand in the coop too but I wont be able to clean daily so that's why im going to do the deep litter method in the coop.

That's how Im going to set it up. I will do sand in my covered run and pine or hemp in the coop. I would do sand in the coop too but I wont be able to clean daily so that's why im going to do the deep litter method in the coop.
I'm kinda scared that if I try deep litter method, it will backfire on me and i'll end up with a stinky dirty environment for my birds.

I use droppings boards in the coop, so I clean those every day or two. I use a deep bed of pine shavings on the bottom of the coop. I scoop big messes when I do the poop boards but everything else I just stir in with a rake and add Sweet PDZ and a few handfuls of new shavings. Every 3-4 months I scoop out all of the savings and start fresh.

I don't "clean" my run. I started with a sandy loam soil (native), and I add stuff for the girls to stir in, which keeps it fresh. Things I add include: clean(ish) shavings, top soil, used potting soil, weeds and clippings from the garden, grass clippings, pine bark fines, sand, ashes, leaves, pine straw, and eat moss.

What kind of bedding you use may depend on how you manage the manure.
This is about cleaning, but covers my big picture

-I use poop boards under roosts with thin(<1/2") layer of sand/PDZ mix, sifted daily(takes 5-10mins) into bucket going to friends compost.

-Scrape big or wet poops off roost and ramps as needed.

-Pine shavings on coop floor, add some occasionally, totally changed out once or twice a year, old shavings added to run.

- My runs have semi-deep litter(cold composting), never clean anything out, just add smaller dry materials on occasion, add larger wood chippings as needed.
Aged ramial wood chippings are best IMO.

-Nests are bedded with straw, add some occasionally, change out if needed(broken egg).

There is no odor, unless a fresh cecal has been dropped and when I open the bucket to add more poop.

That's how I keep it 'clean', have not found any reason to clean 'deeper' in 5 years.

I use droppings boards in the coop, so I clean those every day or two. I use a deep bed of pine shavings on the bottom of the coop. I scoop big messes when I do the poop boards but everything else I just stir in with a rake and add Sweet PDZ and a few handfuls of new shavings. Every 3-4 months I scoop out all of the savings and start fresh.

I don't "clean" my run. I started with a sandy loam soil (native), and I add stuff for the girls to stir in, which keeps it fresh. Things I add include: clean(ish) shavings, top soil, used potting soil, weeds and clippings from the garden, grass clippings, pine bark fines, sand, ashes, leaves, pine straw, and eat moss.
You saved me time. This is exactly what I do, and it's been great and super easy!

I was planning on using pine shavings for the coop, and a mix of pine shavings/sand for the coop and run. Apparently there's less cleaning involved than I expected? I also have to sometimes be away for long periods of time, (1-7 weeks) and didn't exactly want to ask a neighbor to come clean my chicken coop. General assessment of the thread is that you really don't have to clean too often, especially in the run? Just add layers of dirt/sand/shavings/leaves/mulch?

I also have to sometimes be away for long periods of time, (1-7 weeks) and didn't exactly want to ask a neighbor to come clean my chicken coop.
7 weeks is a long time....need someone who knows chickens, can visit daily, spot any problems and fix them.
You will also need larger coop and run if breeds are to be confined for long periods in your climate.

7 weeks is a long time....need someone who knows chickens, can visit daily, spot any problems and fix them.
You will also need larger coop and run if breeds are to be confined for long periods in your climate.
I have several friends that own chickens who could help me out. I'm not planning on too many chickens, just three to start, and possibly bantams.

I'm kinda scared that if I try deep litter method, it will backfire on me and i'll end up with a stinky dirty environment for my birds.

I love the deep litter method. Could probably go two months if necessary, just tossing handfuls of pine shavings onto the fresh droppings once a day or two. At the end of that you just stir it, and toss another light layer of fresh pine shavings over it. Rinse and repeat. Every 3 cycles you can remove it and start over. For myself though, I actively compost...so mine never goes more than a month before I'm cleaning it to add to the compost pile, lol.

In my big coop (more like a run really...12'x32', open front)...I've got straw down now. I don't like it really. Pine shavings would be cost prohibitive I think...lol. But I refuse to be locked into a system that has mandatory daily maintenance. Not that I don't maintain daily...but if something happens, I want wiggle room...so I'm still working on it.

Back
Top Bottom