How often should i hold/play with chicks?

hensintheghetto

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 3, 2009
Sacramento Valley
Or, really, how often can I get away with holding them without driving them insane?

I haven't had chicks in a long, long time, and while I want to socialize them with humans, I'm wondering if there is a limit to how much I should be holding them, carrying them around with me, etc. My chicks are currently 10 & 11 days old.

you will never drive them insane lol the more you hold them the more they get to know you the more you become their mommy so the more the better lol

i handle mine all the time and the more i do it the more they love me
tongue.png

it's good for them and it usually makes for calm well tempered chickens in most cases. alot of them seem to really like being held. you body temperature keeps them from getting chilled so getting cold isn't really much of a problem
the more the better!

OH- and
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
yuckyuck.gif

Does this rule also apply to chicks that a broody has hatches?
I have 5 that are hatching - 2 are 1 day old and all I want to do is pick them up but I'm afraid if I do she might get mad
idunno.gif

Then I am getting 6 or more on the 6th from TSC- does everyone keep the brooder in the house ?

As much as possible, WITHOUT it becoming a detriment to their health is a good rule of thumb. The more you handle them, the more docile they will be as adults, however do not handle them so much that their health is put in jeopardy. Handle them for a short time, then put them back under the heat lamp. Handle them again, then put them back under the heat lamp, and so on...

i agree i mean don't hold them so much that you're always holding them and they never eat! i alwaya pick mine up, hold them for a while and let them take a nap in my hands and after a while put 'em back in to eat & drink for a while. then go back and check on them
smile.png
the really are cute.

My kids and I have designated playtimes, usually two or three times a day, where we get the chicks out of the brooder and handle them. The kids get some real hands on experience raising the babies and we get them used to being handled - which is going to really help when they're older and we need to be checking for illness, mites, etc. etc.

We do make sure to give them breaks. Our rule of thumb is too see how eagerly they attack the waterer and the feeder once we put them back in the brooder. If they appear ravenous or drink heavily each time we get the message and pull back on the play time the next time through.

Back
Top Bottom