How often should I remove straw from the run?

I have straw in my coop and then, the covered area is concrete (thick layer of straw there, and then the uncovered area is dirt. I've just been adding to the straw on the concrete as its been frozen down with the little bit of snow that's gotten in there... in the dirt portion, I haven't changed out any of it at all since I got the girls. I just add straw and hay and pine shavings on top occasionally.

I have a raised coop 4' x 5'. I use compressed straw in coop and under.
In winter my 5 hens spend most of the day under the coop, especially if it's sub freezing and windy or snowing. I clean in and under weekly, by removing and replacing straw. I have a narrow long handled rake.
In the other 3 seasons I replace straw in coop weekly and under monthly, refresh as needed between cleanings.
I have no room for poop boards because of limited height. 20170429_115235.jpg
In a larger coop with poop boards you may be able to clean less often, or even do a deep litter method if you don't have a raised coop.
I clean out the nest boxes every other week. Immediately if soiled.
My 500 square foot pen is sloped, I dump the old bedding in the run and it eventually works through the 2" x 4" fence and into my garden. GC

Thank you everyone for the advice!

Sounds like I might want to look into getting a garden claw too. That is an excellent idea.

prod_3276421503

This is what I use. It's my go to tool when working deep litter, wood chips, or other loose material. It's great when I do a semi annual clean out in the coop. It will lift and move a lot of material at once without digging into the plastic sheet flooring.

My metal fork really is great for shoveling.

Tried that claw the other day though and man it fluffed things up so nice so fast. I actually don't own it and my dad may remember that he does own it. In which case I'll likely get one, handy for light cultivation around shrubs and old roses to get fertilizer into the top layer of dirt too.

Edit to add, garden claw would be great for working a compost pile also.

Back
Top Bottom