How often to apply Permethrin?

Cachickmama

In the Brooder
Nov 23, 2020
SF Bay area
We lost our speckled susses to red mites yesterday and the other two hens seems to have them too.
We washed the coop and applied permithrin but i am positive there are still tons of dreadful red mites in there.

We also applied permithrin powder to the two chickens yesterday but i still see them constantly picking at themselves.

Wondering if we have to apply Permitrin daily to the chickens ?? I read on several posts about treating the coop weekly which i plan on doing
but did not read about the frequencly tolerable to apply to chickens. Mine seem to be heavily infested with red mites but
Since permithrin is a chemical i dont want to accidentally harm my own birds. How often is safe enough to apply permithrin to the chickens?

TIA,
Chickmama

I just dusted mine 3 days in a row. Spraying oil soap water mixture, and a garlic spray as well. Wondering the same about how often to use permethrin? They seem fine but read about the respiratory threat.

I lost 3 hens to red mite this year and have never seen anything like it. I have always been able to prevent them with DE, but not this year.

I tried neem at the concentration listed for mites. It only had a minor impact. At the same time I used DE.

3 weeks in and still was not satisfied with the results.

Then I tried Pyganic specialty. I sprayed it at night on the coop inside and out and on the chickens. I also sprayed it on the ground around the coop and in the dust bath area. It killed the mites instantly. I used 3 oz per gallon in a sprayer and was generous with spraying it in all the cracks. I had to inspect the coop each night inside and out to see the areas where there were still mites, then target those areas.

I let it dry and then applied a super thick layer of DE to all the cracks. Almost like spreading mortar for bricks. It needs to be 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick in all the cracks and add a lot of it to the bedding and dust bath areas as well. You'll easily go through 50lbs of DE.

This should take care of the problem. I will say, pyganic specialty is expensive. I paid 150.
Do this at least two days in a row for a heavy infestation and then repeat 10d later.

It helped to clean the bedding every 3 days as well. Also, burn the bedding if you can.

I HIGHLY recommend doing exactly what @Wyrop Rock
states "If the infestation is heavy, then I would dust them every 7 days."
Trust me when I say This advice is provided by one of the Experts on this site.
But, continue to keep that coop cleaned out and spray/soak every knocke and creany in that coop.
Scrape your roosts and soak them down and allow to dry too.
You can give them a bath in Epsom Salts and use a soft tooth brush to clean the feet, nails and legs very well. Dry them and coat Vaseline on their legs and feet.
Then treat them to a little scrambled egg and put them to roost.
I do this as maintenance and it seems to work well.
Make sure your spraying the Permethrin under their wings and in all the dark places those lil nasty critters like to hide and suck blood.
I'm sorry your going through this.

I just dusted mine 3 days in a row. Spraying oil soap water mixture, and a garlic spray as well. Wondering the same about how often to use permethrin? They seem fine but read about the respiratory threat.
Mites can develop resistance to chemical treatments, so ideally, just use it as a knock down treatment only when needed, then apply DE super thick to all cracks regularly and to dust baths and bedding. Also wear an N95 mask when you apply it. It should not impact the chickens when its placed on all the cracks. Check the silica content of each brand you use as well.

Back
Top Bottom