How often to change coop bedding?

Poop boards are your friend! They really cut down on the amount of bedding you have to cycle out. I stir the bedding regularly so that the poop that does reach the ground isn't sitting on the surface. When I notice the bedding is starting to really break down (I use straw, shavings, and occasionally pine pellets), I'll remove roughly half of it and put it in my compost pile, and refill with fresh stuff. I built my coop in April and I think I've only had to do it twice so far.

4x8 coop, 4 chickens. Pine shavings and hemp on the floor. I scoop poop every day, and it takes about 5 minutes, because most of it is under the roost.

In May, I started with a bale of pine shavings and added half a bale of hemp in July. I put the other half in in September. I added a full bale of pine in December, to make for a softer landing when they jump off the roost.

I have yet to remove everything and start over. I will probably do that after we move the coop down by the garden in the spring. The used bedding will be mulch in the garden.

The only time I smell anything is when someone drops a fresh cecal poop.

Back
Top Bottom