How often to clean coop?

I've tried really hard to do this deep litter method and I suck
hide.gif
I just can't STAND knowing all that poop is mixed up in the shavings. I've made it all of 2-3 wks before I couldn't take it and cleared out all the shavings and put new in. I've got 2 buildings for coops (8x8 and 10x14) and it really doesn't take long at all to scoop all the shavings up real quick and throw clean ones down. I know the deep litter method is easier for the humans-I get that....but how do you get over knowing they're sleeping on months worth of poop under there?

Quote:
Ksane.. I agree with you... I just can't deal with all that poo in the coop! I like a clean house.. so wouldn't my girls? Besides.. Living in Central Florida the smell would be horrible! Right now I have four Ameracana (sp?) 3 week old chicks in a brooder in the front living room. I clean the tray and wire bottom daily. As you can tell from our coop design I posted several days ago, we make the coop so we could open it up and scoop out all the pine shavings into a wheel barrow. My compost pile is really growing. The chickens like to go out and scratch in the pile on the compost. Lots of worms there for them!
smile.png

Interesting to hear about the Deep Litter Method. I don't think I know where to find the DE (human grade) Anyone have a suggestion? Why do you use it? Is it just for smell? Thanks
smile.png

It's just a plywood floor with real heavy black pit liner plastic on it now. I plan on getting some cheap vinyl flooring for it soon--I am gonna run it up the walls just a few inches. I can't imagine cleaning with bleach and scrubbing their roosts-once a week
roll.png
-I guess it is all in the way you live-if I was in town--maybe---not
lol.png
--but I am born and raised country and they are after all ---chickens----LOL.

Quote:
Ksane.. I agree with you... I just can't deal with all that poo in the coop! I like a clean house.. so wouldn't my girls? Besides.. Living in Central Florida the smell would be horrible! Right now I have four Ameracana (sp?) 3 week old chicks in a brooder in the front living room. I clean the tray and wire bottom daily. As you can tell from our coop design I posted several days ago, we make the coop so we could open it up and scoop out all the pine shavings into a wheel barrow. My compost pile is really growing. The chickens like to go out and scratch in the pile on the compost. Lots of worms there for them!
smile.png

Interesting to hear about the Deep Litter Method. I don't think I know where to find the DE (human grade) Anyone have a suggestion? Why do you use it? Is it just for smell? Thanks
smile.png

I live outside Sydney so we have some heat issues and I use DLM. Smell is not an issue. I don't use DE either. My deep litter is composed of all of the weeds which come out of my rather large garden. The girls nibble on what they want, the rest composts down. Every so often I add other stuff in there, like a half bag of rice hulls to help as it was a bit too moist after a bit of rain. Basically the heap is my compost pile and they have the joy of access to it whenever they want. No worms of course.... none would survive given my hungry feathered scavengers. If DLM smells, you have done something wrong. Just like if your compost pile smells, you have done something wrong.

yup. DLM done correctly, there are no issues at all. and of course ventilation must be adequate. and its not like they are wading through months of manure. its all continuing to be recycled the natural way. you can go through the litter in my coops and not find whole manure. it looks like fine rich dirt if you get below the newest level of straw, grass, mulch or whatever ive put in there. the litter draws the moisture outa the manure and it immediately starts to break down. in fact if you try this method, and do it correctly you'll find the boards to be a much nastier method. cause you must continue to scrape raw wet droppings off the board and dispose of them. alot more work, alot more nastier work.

as for gaining space i see where boards would work. but space isnt a issue with my personal set up. to each their own. but truthfully DLM is not a nasty method as some may imagine. it works great actually.

Quote:
I think the main thing here is one of of three lines thoughts or possibly all three. They poop doesn't bother the one's that use that method, they tend to be a little lazy or time constrants just do not allow the time to clean. Me, I wouldn't have chickens if I couldn't clean everyday. I think the DLM came into play patterened of broiler houses. They put in the shaving for chicks and it stays like that till they're picked up. Not to many weeks old at that. But to me the difference is we're talking day old chicks to frier size. As you know not as much poop nor as large of a deposit is seen with babys. But one thing is they do away with quite a few dead ones. Plus if you've ever walked inside a house, the amonia will make your sinus sting. But now we are talking about a house about 40 feet wide by 300 feet long with 10,000 chicks. It works for that situation but I just don't like it for adults chickens. Those house remind me of battery hens.

i just clean myne out when it looks like it needs cleaned out, i cleaned myne out today

They poop doesn't bother the one's that use that method, they tend to be a little lazy or time constrants just do not allow the time to clean

most incorrect statement in the whole thread. perhaps you should re-read some of the previous posts. then actually try it the correct way. if you want to clean every day have at it. but never make assumptions on others and their tried and true methods.

i highly recommend reading the book: HOLY SH-T by Gene Logsdon. its on amazon.com. an educated mind is a marvelous thing.​

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom