How often to feed crushed oyster or egg shells?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Robin'sBrood, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    I've been giving my girls baked & crushed egg shells every few days. Is that enough or should they get some every day?

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I keep a bowl of it out for them free choice.

3. Firefly

Firefly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2007
    Connecticut
    I also offer it free choice-- I think it's a good idea to let them regulate their own intake!

Kelli

4. antlers

antlers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2008
    East Cent Minnesota
    I agree. Free choice. I have a small wooden box I mad tha thangs on a hook on the inside of the coop.

5. Quail_Antwerp

Quail_Antwerp [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Mrs

Aug 16, 2008
    Ohio
    I give oyster shell free choice as well. [​IMG]

6. mjdtexan

mjdtexan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    I was discussing that issue with the feedstore lady today. Keep in mind I dont have chicks (on order from Ideal though) yet so I dont know. She said she does not feed them eggshells because she thinks it causes the chickens to want to eat their own eggs. I dunno. She did recommend oyster shells though.

I am pretty much learning from you guys.

7. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    Egg shells baked and crushed up are probably not that recognizable to a chicken. I have never heard of any that leaned toward eating their own eggs from having shells provided to them.

I've heard this advice lots of times on BYC: "don't listen to everything feed store employees tell you".

8. NC chicken man

NC chicken man Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2007
    Mt. Pleasant,NC
    free choice most people bake their egg shells then crush them up and it ain't like they are eating the egg shell whole ,i've done both on problem.

9. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:Especially when they'd rather SELL someone oyster shells than tell them that FREE baked eggs are perfectly fine. [​IMG]

10. danamillette

danamillette Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Northern Wisconsin
    I also offer free-choice. And it drives me nuts that I have to pay for a bag of these things when we lived in FL(pan handle) and had the darn things laying everywhere for free!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by