How often to hold chicks

Erin80

Songster
Apr 16, 2017
Our chicks are 2 1/2 weeks old and we try to hold them a few times every day. They seem to be getting more flighty and scared of us as they get older, instead of vice versa. Any tips for helping them to trust us? It will be better once they are out in the coop, taking them out in the house is hard...they poop soooo much. We spread a huge tarp down on the floor and if the chicks are out, we either need to hold them or they need to be on the tarp.
I'd read that barred rock are supposed to be pretty calm and friendly but these girls seem terrified. First time chicken owner, so I don't know what to expect.

How old are they? Ours are 10 weeks and we held them all day when they were chicks, and they still run when we try to hold them. I think the older they get the friendlier. I would keep holding them often though.

I try to get mine out a couple times a day also if I want them to be tame. It helps if you try picking them up from the side, because coming from straight above them scares them. I put down a towel for mine but it seems they want to go EVERYWHERE but the towel!

For most chickens it seems like they're calm when they're very young, then in the "teenager" stage are more flighty and nervous, and then go back to being calm as they mature.

Also treats help
wink.png

I've heard that treats help, I think I need to get some grit first though. All they've had is their feed and an egg.

Treats are usually the best way to go (don't over-treat). All chicks go through stages. As day-olds, they are very inquisitive and will willingly approach your hand. Then, after a week or so, they completely lose their minds and are convinced you are out to eat them. Without serious conditioning, they usually don't calm down until POL, and then they chill out. Breeds can differ quite a bit, and everyone has different experiences. YMMV.

It really depends on the chicks as well. We have orphingtons, Wyandottes, and reds. The wydottes are super flighty and they were all handled and raised together and that's not supposed to be a flighty breed.

Our chicks are 2 1/2 weeks old and we try to hold them a few times every day. They seem to be getting more flighty and scared of us as they get older, instead of vice versa. Any tips for helping them to trust us? It will be better once they are out in the coop, taking them out in the house is hard...they poop soooo much. We spread a huge tarp down on the floor and if the chicks are out, we either need to hold them or they need to be on the tarp.
I'd read that barred rock are supposed to be pretty calm and friendly but these girls seem terrified. First time chicken owner, so I don't know what to expect.

How old are they? Ours are 10 weeks and we held them all day when they were chicks, and they still run when we try to hold them. I think the older they get the friendlier. I would keep holding them often though.

Everything and it's brother including humans eat chicken. It is no wonder then that chickens are distrustful of your attempt to get your grub hooks onto or into your chickens.

Once they start laying they calm down a lot. My mature girls love dried meal worms as a special treat. Of course they get lots of yummy snacks but I use the meal worms when I need to get them to go back to their run after free ranging.

I second the advice to avoid reaching in from above. Arrange it so you can look and reach in from the side, it will make all the difference. I learned this from another forum last year and was amazed at the immediate change.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom