How often to worm peafowl?

old biddy

Crowing
12 Years
Sep 30, 2010
Lamont, Florida
I have read that it is best to worm peafowl at least twice per year...once around February just before breeding season begins, and then again in
September or October when breeding season is over. I have also read that some breeders worm more often than that especially when dealing with
peachicks and yearlings and if the peafowl are raised in pens and around chickens. Personally, I have only wormed my birds in February and September
except for the chicks which I worm at about 4 weeks old. There is so much conflicting information out there that it is confusing.

One of the buyers for my peachicks has asked me about this and I don't want to give out bad advice. So, my questions are:

1) How soon and how often should peachicks and yearlings be wormed?

2) How soon and how often should peachicks and yearlings be treated against coccidiosis?

Thanks for any good advice I can get!

Once our chicks are on the ground we deworm them and treat them for cocci every four weeks, (alternating every two weeks), until the snow flies. There is no real need to treat yearlings for cocci unless they are stressed.
I live in Florida so the snow doesn’t fly around here. LOL. Are you saying I should Worm them every month and treat them for cocci every month until We Have our first freeze? (which is usually December or January around here.) Is that because the freeze kills the coccidiosis? And in the spring when the weather is warmer and the birds are seven or eight months old Will the birds not need to be treated for cocci at that time either?

Basically, yes. It is fairly rare for a yearling to come down with cocci unless it is stressed. Deworming is still required and will depend on your locale whether to deworm more than twice per year. Soil that has had birds on it for many years will need more deworming than fresh soil.

Back
Top Bottom