How old and what breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chknlittle, Sep 29, 2013.

1. chknlittle

chknlittle New Egg

Sep 29, 2013
    Hi all! I inherited what I believe is an Easter egger, please correct me if I'm wrong. She hasn't layed in the two months I've had her so I'm wondering if anyone can tell me how old she is. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    If you have had her two months, did she look grown up when you got her? She doesn't look that old now, not much comb development or color. She could be an EE, I've gotten clean faced ones that color from Mt. Healthy hatchery, can't tell what her comb is.
    :welcome

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Easter egger pullet, from the comb I'd guess around 4ish months.

4. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Yep she's an Easter Egger, the ones that I have had did not have muffs or beards. I used to have a hen with a similar feather pattern. :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  5. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    easter egger, i think around 4-5 months old. When her comb starts to get red she will lay, right now she is not close to laying

6. chknlittle

chknlittle New Egg

Sep 29, 2013
    Thanks for the information everyone. I was guessing 4-5 months. Never had an EE so didn't know what to expect. I'm assuming that her comb will enlarge and have more color when she is ready to lay? If anyone has any other general information ( i.e. laying rate, temperament, etc) that would also be very helpful. In the time I've had her she has been incredibly skittish. Is that common in the breed? Thanks!

7. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    Yes the comb will get slightly bigger and a lot redder. EEs are a great breed in my opinion. Also very loving. Sometimes you get skitish ones but you get that with any breed. You may have just ended up with a skitish one or she may just need more time to warm up. I love my EEs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by