How old are Golden Comets before they start to lay?

Gindee77

Songster
11 Years
Mar 31, 2008
QCA, Illinois
I have 4 GC's and I keep reading in various places that GC's lay early. When they all say "early" what exactly does that mean?? I need to know so I can be prepared with bedding in the nest boxes. Mine are only 7 wks old right now, but I would like to know what to expect!

Can anyone with mature GC's help me with a time frame?

Wow that would be great!! Thanks Deb!

I wonder if someone will read this that has raised some. I just love these chicks, they are so friendly and quiet. And I don't have the stress of trying to figure out what gender they are, like I do with the rest of the 7-8 wk olds!
fl.gif
barnie.gif

I also have a couple black sex-link pullets and wonder if they lay early too? They are only 3 wks old so it will be quite a while for them, even if they are early.

17 weeks is a little over 4 months and would be considered early. But, deb admits that is an exception with the words, "as early as." Chickens don't have a timetable you can pen onto a calendar, unfortunately.

Laying in ALL breeds tends to commence between 16 and 24 weeks, typically favoring the later end of that span. I'd expect them to start around 20 weeks, give or take. With GC's at 7 weeks currently, you have time to get ready with nests etc. Just dont delay too long!

Thanks Elderoo! I would love it if they started to lay that early, but I will just be happy with healthy egg-laying chickens.

I know it's sort of a crapshoot as to when they will start. I don't want to rush them, I know that you shouldn't feed them too high of a protein food too long because they shouldn't mature too early, it could mess up their "works". I was just curious because all I've read says that GC's are usually earlier than other breeds but no one seems to say HOW much earlier!
roll.png

I keep a laying flock of 100 hens...a third black sex links, a third RIR, and a third golden comets. The black sex links and the golden comets usually start at 18-20weeks with the RIRs a couple of weeks later.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom