How old are my chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by halfpynt, Apr 22, 2007.

1. halfpynt

halfpynt Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2007
    Hi all

I got my chicks from a pet store ,,,, actually my husband did,, and is not exactly sure how old they are . They are tiny,,, still fuzzy,, but starting to get different more mature feathers on their wings... and are just starting to scratch ....

Any help ? We want to make sure we decrease their temperature so they get used to 70 > and know how much to feed them,, and when to able to give them treats......

Thank you .

2. jmantoo1

jmantoo1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    hi it sounds like they are 7 to 10 days old:jumpy

3. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Hard to tell without a picture. But from the description I would say about a week.

4. aimee

aimee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2007
    Lake WaConDa, NE
    You should be able to give them some treats as long as you also give them some grit too.

5. marie_martin

marie_martin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    My new chicks are only 4 days old and are starting to scratch and to get feathers on the ends of their wings. So they are probably between 4-7 days old. I would guess. I have a question about treats also. I was told to give mine a little egg yolk crumbled with their food, will I need to give them scratch with that? Thanks. Good luck with your chicks, can't wait for pictures.

Marie

6. aimee

aimee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2007
    Lake WaConDa, NE
    Anytime a chick eats anything different from the starter they will need grit. Mine have/had a constant supply of grit, I just used the sand you would put in a kids sandbox.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by