How old are turkeys when they start to gobble?

BCMominMD

Songster
10 Years
Mar 12, 2009
Southern Md
I have a turkey that has been hanging out with my flock for awhile. I think it is a female because it doesn't gobble or strut with the big tail feather display thing, my husband thinks it is a male because it will stand up to our rooster. We have seen it around the neighborhood since April and it wasn't so small then so it is well over 6 months old.
So if it hasn't gobbled yet can I keep calling her Mary Margaret?

I was just wondering if it was like roosters crowing. She makes sweet kind of burbling sounds and is very well integrated into my flock. She will come and fuss at the back door when the chickens are closed up in their run because she wants them out. When they are closed up she hangs out right by their fence. She has a very friendly personality.

Last edited:
That sounds about right. They are very flock oriented. I would just let her stay with them. They get very upset when alone.
But any turkey will stand up to a rooster, male or female. I have hens that will stand up to my dogs!

i have two 5 week old turkeys (1st timer) but as they were doing there thing and i was doing mine , which was sweeping the floor, all of a sudden the black one at two weeks of age displayed and hissed at the brush .... seems to hate brushes hahah

my hen struts off and on.. but never holds it for more than 3 seconds or so..I heard her cluck 1 time so far and she is 4 months old.Then again , she is confused and was raised with guineas all her life.

My wee little white midgets that are less than 2 months old have gobbled 2 times and strut everyday on and off.
So not sure.. I guess it depends ?

Back
Top Bottom