how old are your fresh eggs still considered "fresh"?

cptbahama

Songster
9 Years
Jan 13, 2011
augusta, georgia
We have a huge family vacation coming up in four weeks. Lots of big breakfast eaters. I'd like to provide all the eggs so no one has to buy eggs and its a cool thing I can contribute to the gang. If I start saving them now, they will be four weeks old when we begin the vacation. Do you/ would you consider four week old eggs from your backyard flock still "fresh" or at least "fresher" than what we would buy the night before at the grocery?

When I buy eggs in the store and check, I've always found they are at least a month old. The date they were packed is stamped on the end of the carton. The number is given as the day of the year; that is, it will be "1" if packed on January 1, and "365" if packed on December 31. This article gives more details.

I have eaten eggs from my fridge which were at least a month old, probably older. We tend to save them from good production months and eat them when production drops off in the winter or with a molt. I've read that eggs keep a week in the fridge for every day at room temp, but I actually think they last longer than that even at room temperature. Mother Earth News did an extensive study on how long eggs stayed edible. I believe they were still edible if refrigerated at 6 months, but you can look it up and check that out, it's been on the web for years.

Our eggs typically don't last long, we have people frequently buy us out and I only get five eggs a day, but I've heard that eggs can last up to nine months refrigerated.

Back
Top Bottom