How old before adding toys or treats?

SJaneDoe

Chirping
Apr 29, 2021
Central Ontario, Canada
I have 3 day old chicks and I'm wondering how soon to start putting extra stuff in the brooder to amuse them (sand, sticks etc.)? Also, if I give them sand can it be regular play sand? This is my first time with chicks and I don't know how delicate their immune systems are at this age. Thanks!

I have 3 day old chicks and I'm wondering how soon to start putting extra stuff in the brooder to amuse them (sand, sticks etc.)? Also, if I give them sand can it be regular play sand? This is my first time with chicks and I don't know how delicate their immune systems are at this age. Thanks!
I would wait with treats. But if you start feeding them treats make sure to provide grit as a free choice.
I don’t use sand, if they eat it, it will cause their intestines to become blocked.
As for toys, I add a small perch in the brooder so that they can play and practice roosting.

I waited until mine was a week old before offering mealworms. Now they are almost a month and I'm breaking up tiny shrimps for them too. 😊

Like @CluckerFamily I also have a perch and they love that.

I would wait with treats. But if you start feeding them treats make sure to provide grit as a free choice.
I don’t use sand, if they eat it, it will cause their intestines to become blocked.
As for toys, I add a small perch in the brooder so that they can play and practice roosting.

I tried offering grit as a free choice, but mine didn't know when to stop. I had to remove it, they were eating it like feed. 😱 I didn't know if that would be a problem or not. I've been offering some about once a week or so because I didn't know if too many rocks would be a bad thing or if they would just poop out extras.

Didn't know that about sand! 😬

Mine have eaten sand so not sure how worrysome sand really is.

I find grit is huge for chicks, I am still looking for smaller grit so about to order some racing pidgeon grit and see if that is any good but the birds I am raising at the moment didn't get any grit for the first month.

Only chick crumbs in a bowl, they treated it like a sandpit and even liked to sleep in it.

Mine have eaten sand so not sure how worrysome sand really is.

I find grit is huge for chicks, I am still looking for smaller grit so about to order some racing pidgeon grit and see if that is any good but the birds I am raising at the moment didn't get any grit for the first month.

Only chick crumbs in a bowl, they treated it like a sandpit and even liked to sleep in it.

I've been using this chick grit: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/dumor-chick-grit-5-lb The adult chicken grit is massive. 😬

Mine has been using the feed as a place to dust bathe. One hops in and kicks it everywhere, and all the others race over and eat the crumbs off her. 😂

I added a little container with some all purpose sand starting at around 3 weeks old. They eat a little while they are dust bathing, but leave it alone otherwise. The sand I use has a variety of particles sizes, not sure if its as fine as play sand but its caused no issues.

I also added a little branch perch and a plastic "house" made for rabbits they can go inside or stand on top of. They really enjoy the perch and standing on top of the house. I think its nice to give them some enrichment if you have space.

Back
Top Bottom