How old before going to the coop?

xjonesy

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 13, 2009
Utah
How old do my little chicks need to be before I let them out of the box in my garage and let them into the coop and run? Is the main concern just the cold at that point -- I want to make sure they have enough feathers to withstand the chilly spring?

Is there a good indicator that I can watch for that lets me know they're ready to move into the coop?

Thank you!

I am not sure where you are, or how cold it is there, but mine go out when they are around 5 weeks old. I have a small pen inside of my huge pen to keep the chicks in at night. During the day I let them out in the big pen. I have hung a light for them to get under if they get cold. I also introduced mine on really nice days with mild temps at night. ( cold now though)

I live in Salt Lake City, UT. It's in the 40's and 50's here right now...we have very defined seasons here. Should I wait till it's in the 60's and 70's before letting them out for good?

Nice to see another newbie from UT!

We're in West Jordan and bought 3 chicks two weeks ago. Already hoping to add 5 more this spring.

I was planning to wait until they were about 5-6 weeks old before putting them out. Days are getting warmer but the night's are still chilly. My coop is a bit big for the three little girls and I'm not setup for power out to it yet.

I moved mine to the coop when they were two weeks old. I set up the heat lamp and confined them to a smaller area under it for the first few days. I kept them in the coop until they were four weeks old and put chicken wire over the chicken door opening. Each day I would open the chicken door in the morning for them to look outside and get used to the sights and sounds, and close it at night. When I removed the chicken wire at four weeks they were comfortable going out into the fenced, covered run and they had learned that the coop was "home" and I didn't have any trouble with them going in by themselves as it began to get dark.

Hope this helps. And enjoy your chicks!!

Penny

From what I have read on the forum- it depends on the weather in your area, danger of frost must pass. My buffs will be inside until they are eight weeks old, they should have all there adult feather at this time.

Mine have been in the barn under 2-3 lamps since the day they came home. Everyone is just fine and we've had temps in the teens and 20's. I think they are more hardy than they let on...

Back
Top Bottom