How old can a buck breed (goat)

adorable

Songster
12 Years
Aug 7, 2007
near ottawa ontario
I have a 7 month old buck. I was hoping he can breed by now.Is he old enough???I read you have to seperated your boys from the mother around 8 weeks old . Because of this reason. SO i thought a 7 month can. He dose all stuff. JUst the girls are not getting pregnant by him. I was thinking maybe he is a dud. He has both of his testicles. HOw much longer should i give him before i replace him......?
rant.gif

Give it some more time they normally start around 6 to 8 months, but some are a little slower. We had one that started at 6 months ; but it takes them a while sometimes to settle the doe.

Don't get in a rush to get rid of him...especially if you really like him.
If you are concerned about his viability, couldn't you get a semen sample and have it checked? How old are your does? Are you sure they are or have been in season?

I used my buck when he was around 5 to 6 mths and he got the job done and I only put 2 does in with him at a time as not to overwhelm him as he is still young and dont want him intimidated by the older girls. He should be fine onces he gts started and gets his confidence built up. Start with the more calmer does and not bring in the meaner or herd queen in first, I would wait till he gets older for them. Also has he had a Bo-se shot? when did you last worm him? this has alot to do with their ability.

Last edited:
stupid question here but....dont the older girls feel kind of weird..getting it on with a goat thats young enough to be their son??
or do they really not care?

The girls really do not care what age they are?He was dewormed nov 4 2008. AT the same time he was vacc. The vet came over and did all of them at the same time.

Goats don't care. My buckling that just went to a new home this morning was mounting his sisters and mother, so I doubt an age difference occurs to them
wink.png

My vet told me that she had heard of a goat that had bred a female when he was 9 days old.
ep.gif
Talk about a busy little bugger!

What breed is he? In my experience the mini breeds seem to get at it alot earlier and the larger breeds take longer. Really it varies from goat to goat, my youngest buck is 4 months and is in no way interested in the girls, but I have babies that will mount anything that will let them. But I never expect to use a buck before a year old, if he gets it early and I want to use him I will, but I don't go into it planning to use him til he's a year old.

As for does caring, I don't think age factors into it at all, BUT I have does that prefer the most manly buck, I usually give my does a private area w/ the chosen buck, especially if I'm using a young buck, because if they can see the older boys sometimes they won't let the younger boy near them! That isn't always the case, some don't care.

Back
Top Bottom