how old do chicks need to be before we stop giving them starter crumb?

obe10

Songster
10 Years
Jul 14, 2009
Irmo, South Carolina
hi everyone,

i have seven five week old chicks. they are on starter crumbles, we have given them treats now and then but when can we start giving them adult chicken food like wheat and cracked corn?

obe10: I went onto this site and forum to find an answer to the same question. We have 26 chicks that are 5 weeks old, and growing rapidly with crumbles. They get jealous when we toss cracked corn, watermelon and grapes to the adults hens.

I'll check back later ....

Mike

frow.gif
I have heard that you should keep them on starter until they are of laying age. I am still feeding my 2 - 3 month old bantams medicated starter with a few treats from time to time. I feed mine the gamebird chick starter which has a higher protein level and their feathers are so soft and just shine and they seem to flourish on it!
big_smile.png

smile.png
Yeah, there is so much conflicting information out there and it also has a lot to do with what is available in your area. I recently read a post here on BYC where the same question was asked, and someone replied that had actually judged poultry for some 30 to 40 years. It seems that this person has seem some of what they considered the best conditioned chickens ever and he asked the owner what they fed. The only feed that this particular person used happened to be gamebird starter and conditioner once the chicks were of laying age. The owner attributed their conditioner and overall general good health to the higher protein levels in their feed. The poultry judge said that he has since only used the same type of feed with the same results-great conditioning and health.
So.....I decided to follow suit and it seems to be working for me as well.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom