How old do silkies keep setting??

Raindog

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 26, 2010
I still have my first Silkie hen. I've had her for 3 years, and I got her from my mother who had her for 2-3 years, which got her from someone else that had her for a number of years. so she is 6+ years old. This spring she laid 5 eggs. One every other day. Then waited 3 days and laid the 6th egg and started setting. I had already put the 5 eggs in the incubator. When I candled the 5 eggs, every single one was clear! She is setting on the 6th one, so I don't know about it. Is this because she is so old or because the blue rooster likes the other blue hen in the pen better? How old do Silkies live to be anyway??

I have one hen that lays eggs still at 3 but behond that, I don't know. Some chickens are said to keep living 8+ yrs. I have some that are 4-5 that don't lay any longer, but are still alive.

I've never had a hen stop laying due to age; less frequently, yes; a complete stop, no. Chili is 7 and lays somewhat regularly; Harmony is 6 or 7 and lays occasionally. Sparrow is probably 5 and lays almost daily.

I hope my favorite hen doesn't stop
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom