How old do you think my Lohman brown is? When will she starts to lay?

Lin_0330

Songster
Apr 9, 2018
London, UK
Hi,

I bought this Lohman brown as POL 2 months ago and her comb has not really changed much during this 2 months.
I thought Lohman brown suppose to lay from a early age?
I also bought the Light Sussex at the same time, but since Sussex is a heavy breed I don’t expect her to lay soon.
But just very curious on when will my Lohman Brown start to lay? I image she was 4 months old when I got her, so she must be around 6 months now, but her comb just so small and pink....
I might be a bit inpatient...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    646.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 57F4690D-A731-48B4-8B92-7203938E5B66.png
    57F4690D-A731-48B4-8B92-7203938E5B66.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 10
  • B8DEF129-02E9-4CD7-A48A-5E36838F9D0B.png
    B8DEF129-02E9-4CD7-A48A-5E36838F9D0B.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 8
Everyone is a bit impatient for that first egg.
Does she squat down when approached or if you reach out over her back? Is she investigating the nesting boxes?

Everyone is a bit impatient for that first egg.
Does she squat down when approached or if you reach out over her back? Is she investigating the nesting boxes?

Sadly not at all.
I bought her with Light Sussex and Leghorn. Leghorn during this 2 months her comb has become bigger and red. She will squat and sit in nest box. And recently she started laying.
Lohman brown just didn’t change her appearance or behaviour at all.

I am not an expert on these breeds but google says that Lohmann pullets lay around 18 weeks. This is just an estimate, some lay after that time.
Some pullets get dark pink or red combs.
I wouldn’t be surprised if she starts laying soon.
If you have a trail camera, you could put this in the coop to see if she is investigating the nesting boxes.
What are you feed them?

I am not an expert on these breeds but google says that Lohmann pullets lay around 18 weeks. This is just an estimate, some lay after that time.
Some pullets get dark pink or red combs.
I wouldn’t be surprised if she starts laying soon.
If you have a trail camera, you could put this in the coop to see if she is investigating the nesting boxes.
What are you feed them?

I expect her to lay soon as well but she shows no sign which makes me wonder why.
I work from home so I checked on them regularly, she never went into the coop expect when it is time to go to sleep.
I feed them layer pellets, bird energy seeds, mealworms, vegs and kitchen leftovers
My older hybrid hen is laying fine, so I think the food is alright. They free ranged in the garden and will eat grass and earthworms as well.

Back
Top Bottom