How old does my silkie look?

HLail

Songster
Apr 7, 2018
I just got her last week for a friend of a friend. I was told she’s roughly 1 year old but I am not sure I believe it. How old does she look?

Attachments

• 2C12CF77-9C73-4485-944F-C741B51EF72A.jpeg
    2C12CF77-9C73-4485-944F-C741B51EF72A.jpeg
    385.7 KB · Views: 5
I would say she looks to be around the age you were told. Also, she is a cross beak. She is such a cutie! :love
What’s a cross beak mean? Sorry new to this all. I’ve had her a week and she has gave me no egg yet. So I don’t know if that means she’s never laid before. I’m keeping an eye on her. She is sweet!

I did see that on her beak. That you for letting me know.
Her beak is currently overgrown, which can be dangerous, because it will likely break off farther back than it should and cause pain and damage. Hopefully some members here or the internet can educate you on safe beak trimmings. :D

Her beak is currently overgrown, which can be dangerous, because it will likely break off farther back than it should and cause pain and damage. Hopefully some members here or the internet can educate you on safe beak trimmings. :D
Well I just got her last week and was NOT aware of her condition or the need of it to be trimmed or I definitely would have taken care of it sooner. so I definitely will educate myself on that and take care of that ASAP. Thank you!

Well I just got her last week and was NOT aware of her condition or the need of it to be trimmed or I definitely would have taken care of it sooner. so I definitely will educate myself on that and take care of that ASAP. Thank you!
Sounds good! Good luck with your new girl. She otherwise looks healthy. ❤️

I just got her last week for a friend of a friend. I was told she’s roughly 1 year old but I am not sure I believe it. How old does she look?
She is adorable!

She is in need of a beak trim, but be sure to only trim as far back as the lighter, thinner part goes. Don’t hit her blood vessels. If you could get a better picture of her beak, I may be able to help, and I can show you how far it can be trimmed back. You can use dog nail clippers, a grinder tool (this is what I recommend), or a nail file. Be aware that you will most likely have to do this often, so you will need to keep an eye on it.

This is what I do for my crossbeaks:

1. Wrap her in a towel to keep her from flapping, and flip her on her back like that.
2. Next, grab the top part of her beak, and keep it separated from her bottom part. Pay extra attention to not accidentally trim her tongue. Go slowly and calmly as to not stress her out. Clip, or grind, the beak down gradually.
3. Repeat the step above, but with the bottom part of her beak, again paying attention to her tongue and making sure she is calm.
(Step 2 and 3 can be switched around, but I think doing the top beak first is easiest.)
4. Once you are done, gently unwrap her, and let her go back to her coop.

*Be extra careful when trimming her beak, it will bleed if not done right, and it can be very painful for her. Less is better than more.*

It does take experience and practice, so don’t expect it to go super quickly the first time, and take your time. You may also want another person there with you to help.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom