How old earliest to show?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by SebrightLover, Jan 8, 2008.

1. SebrightLover

SebrightLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2007
    Buckhannon, WV
    So those who show, how old is the minimum age you will show a bird? Is there an minimum age limit for most shows?

I'll hopefully [​IMG] have a few silkie chicks at the time of the March shows, but don't want to do anything to harm them![​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2008
  2. Chickemee

Chickemee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2007
    Texas
    I've been interested in showing too, but I think that your bird has to at least be 6 months.

3. Bawkadoodledoo

Bawkadoodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    Central MA
    I think in some shows they let you show chicks, if they're with their mama.

4. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    I think that it goes alot by the condition of the bird.
    I have entered numerous shows, and it goes by under a year old is a pullet/cockerel, over a year old is a hen/cock. I have entered birds under 6 months old on occasion, if they are in exceptional plumage or condition. I have a silkie right now that is being shown and she is a bit too young, but she is turning out quite nice. The other one I am bringing, I showed her at 5 months and she did quite well. Now at 7 months, she is exceptional.
    Sometimes I enter a bird not quite in adult feather if it is a bird that you normally do not see at shows just so people can view them.

5. Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies

Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    NY
    I have found with my Silkies that at age 7 months they do well.

One of My best birds is 6+ years and she is a show stoper still.

6. LittleChickenRacingTeam

LittleChickenRacingTeam On vacation

Jan 11, 2007
    Ontario, CANADA
    Since poultry is judged against the Standard of Perfection for their breed, the only requirement would be that they are feathered out with adult plumage.

7. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Isnt there something about doing that blood test before you show and that cant be done untill 5 months?

8. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    I showed 2 at 5 months year before last and they placed but they looked a whole lot better at 7 months. Everyone I showed this year was 7 months and above and they looked better and placed a lot higher.

9. KingsCalls

KingsCalls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    New Market,Tn.
    It's best to let your bird get through it's 1st molt....the feathers are usually better after the 1st molt..! Also the bird should be filled out......in other words, it should be at it's prefered
    weight, height and plumage according to the standard. The blood test does have to be done before a bird is allowed to enter the show area. Word of advice...if your bird tests positive not only will they confiscate that bird they will quarintine your whole farm/lot for up to one year. Make sure you keep a clean coop and run at all times.
    About 2 months before showing start feeding your birds rolled oats and sunflower seeds. This helps to give the feathers more of a shine which is more healthy looking.(and prettier)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by