How old for definitive voice sexing

Hadynt

Chirping
Apr 22, 2020
Uk
Hi All, I have 3 X Cayuga and 4 X cherry valley ducklings that are just under 8 weeks old. One makes a definite loud noise so I'm guessing that's a female but not heard much out of the others.I've watched a lot of videos to try to sex them by their voices but finding it very difficult. I also tried vent sexing when they were younger and couldn't identify any males but I was probably being overly cautious with them as it's unlikely that I have 7female!

By what age should they all have their adult voices? As the adults are quite easy to sex by voice 😂

8 weeks you should def be hearing quacking. Have you picked them up one by one and walked away from the rest? sometimes that will get their voices going.
I have tried moving them away but couldn't hear any loud quacking except from the one. I might just be being stupid! I'll try and record them and upload to YouTube or something and someone with a much better ear might be able to help.

I had duck lots growing up but these are my first for my smallholding - when I was young I didn't pay that much attention!

The loud quack around 40 seconds into your video, is a female. (I believe it was the second duck). I think you have a lot of drakes/males but I'd say within another week or two you'll know. That raspy quack really makes me think drake though.

I was afraid that was the answer just didn't want to hear it 😂 they are bang on 8 weeks old though so will have to come to terms with it. Although it does mean I will end up with a lot of duck in the freezer 😬

You could always wait a few more weeks to be sure... but compare the others to that loud female quack and that should tell you...

Got my wife to video them as I picked them up although she missed recording one of them 😂 I'm not hopeful but really not sure:

Hopefully it's clear enough to identify.

Thanks!!!
Have you found out the gender of your cayuga ducks yet? we have one (7wks) that is making noises similar to yours at 1:46 but finding it hard to voice sex as they're a bit squeakier than other breeds 😂

Back
Top Bottom