How old for ducks to breed?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by shelleyd2008, Nov 3, 2008.

1. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I asked this in the waterfowl forum, but haven't received an answer.

I was curious how long it takes for ducks to be able to breed? My drakes are about 5-6 months old, and my ducks are between 4 or 5 months and at least a year. I haven't had the ducks as long, so I'm not sure about the ages on them.

I also just recently got the ducks (within the last month or so) and i know with chickens it can make them stop laying when they are moved. I figured this was the problem, plus with it being so late in the season, I figured I would have to wait till spring. I have since read many posts on here about people still getting eggs from their ducks, so now I wonder what the deal is with mine.

Any help is appreciated!

2. chickmommar

chickmommar Chillin' With My Peeps

Ducks generally breed lots and lots! They may be stressed over a move and change but I'm still surprised that they aren't already mating like crazy. Are you sure they are males and females? Ha ha. In terms of laying (which is not particularly related to mating), I would suspect that with the combination of the move and the lateness of the year, you may not get eggs until spring. I didn't notice where you are located but I'm in OK and only 2 or 3 of my 13 female ducks are still laying. The others have stopped for the winter. They usually start up in late Feb/early March and they vary greatly in when they stop laying but some stop in late summer while a few are still laying now. Best of luck with your guys.

3. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I am in Kentucky. I figured they probably wouldn't lay till spring, but I was just curious.

And yes, unfortunately, out of my 10 ducks, there are 6 boys and 4 girls! [​IMG]

I got the first 4 drakes when they were still downy. They were probably about a month old, and were supposed to be 2 pair, one pekin and one rouen. Slowly, every last one of them got their drake feathers!

Once this happened, I went and got 4 ducks, 2 of each breed. This was in early to mid September. Sadly, one of each was taken by something, which left me with 2 ducks, one pekin and one rouen. The rouen is still somewhat small, but she is getting bigger, so she is still fairly young. A few weeks later, I would say early October, I found another pekin duck. I have not been able to find any more rouen ducks. So that left me with 2 pair of pekins, 1 pair of rouen, and one extra rouen drake. No big deal.

A friend of mine had a dog problem, so she decided I would just love to have her 1 duck that survived. So I ended up with another rouen drake.

Then I went to the auction one night, and saw a beautiful pair of Cayugas ( for only $12, couldn't pass it up!). The hen was quacking then (I have learned to poke my finger at them to see what sound they make!), and the drake finally is getting his drake feathers. So I am assuming they are fairly young as well. They are not as big as the pekins or rouens, and it is my understanding that they should be about the same size.

So that's where I'm at!! I have some rouen eggs ordered for the spring, but mine have not layed egg 1!

<edit> Oh and to answer the are they drakes or ducks question even more [​IMG] I can hear both the pekin ducks all the way to the house when they are hungry. It's a good 200 yards!! Plus the rouen duck is brown like they should be, those are easy to tell. And the cayuga duck was quacking when I got her. So yes, I am sure they are ducks and drakes! [​IMG]
    I had a person at the auction offer me $5 to 'knock' the pekin duck in the head, just so she would shut up!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 4, 2008
  4. Neverenuff

Neverenuff Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2008
    Harrodsburg, Kentucky
    I have 10 Indian Runners that are 6 months old and no eggs yet. I am guessing I will have to wait till spring.

Jamie

5. Ducklove334

Ducklove334 Off to another pond

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    Ducks reach sexual maturity at around 6 months of age, but usually don't breed until about 9-10 months, because by the time they're 6 months, it's already fall or winter [​IMG]

6. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Aha!! So my boys aren't even old enough yet? That makes sense, though it still doesn't explain the lack of eggs! Probably what I thought before, about the ducks being new here. They are just too shy [​IMG]

7. RoyalHillsLLC

RoyalHillsLLC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2007
    NW Louisiana-Vivian
    I bought some baby muscovies and geese in late spring. They are breeding machines right now! I was surprised they would be trying to breed this late in the year, assuming there would be a correltaion between laying and breeding. I guess not. Should I expect eggs soon with all this breeding going on? Or will they breed a long time before laying? I assumed spring would come before either breeding or egglaying.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2008
  8. Ducklove334

Ducklove334 Off to another pond

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    My mallards have recently started to breed(all of them just shy of 4 months old, well actually the 3 oldest mallards are 4 months old today xD). they've been breeding the hens, and my cayuga hen, as much as I'm hoping for fertilized eggs, my girls havn't even STARTED to lay yet...the boys are getting it right though, wich doesn't say much for my 7-8 month old call boys...who,well....havn't had much practice [​IMG]..and *ahem*...yeah

I don't know what i'd do if eggs come about soon, i don't have a incubator, but I'd be currious as if to whether any were fertile.

9. lowcountrypoultry

lowcountrypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

I know my mallards, pekins, and muscovies started at around 5 months [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by