How old is a typical Buff Orpington when she starts to lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by S*T*A*R, Oct 3, 2010.

1. S*T*A*R

S*T*A*R Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2010
    I have a Buff Orpington that is a month older than my other five chickens. However, my white leghorn ( one of the younger ones ) laid her first egg yesterday ( YAY ), but my Buff Orpington hasn't laid once. [​IMG] Is my Buff Orpington a late layer, or is she/he a rooster? [​IMG]

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    BOs are late bloomers. Mine just started laying recently and they are 26 weeks this week. So I think they started 24-25 weeks. One pullet from the BOs hasn't started laying, yet.

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Hmmm...my BO hatchery girl started at 21 1/2 weeks, but I think they're like people...some mature quicker than others. I wasn't expecting her to lay until around 24 - 26 weeks...

4. Zed3

Zed3 Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2009
    Huntingtown, MD
    I have three that are 25 weeks and no eggs. Three of my barred rock started laying at 21 & 23 weeks but I am still waiting for the other three.

Zed

5. S*T*A*R

Oct 3, 2010
    Thanks for all the quick answers! So you're all assuming that she is a late bloomer, and not a rooster, right? [​IMG]

6. MakNugget

MakNugget Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Mine started at 25 weeks, so far it laid 5 before it took a day off today.

7. Yardbirds286

Yardbirds286 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Western Mass
    I have three BO's, and they are all different to some degree. Pumpkin, she is huge with red comb, and wattles. I think she will lay first. Then there is Lucy. she is my runt, and she is no where near ready. They are 20-21 weeks old. Good luck with your girls. I guess we wait. [​IMG]

8. andythescot

andythescot Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2009
    Central Mass
    One of my two started at about 6.5 months old, and the other waited another two weeks.

Good cluck!

9. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    S*T*A*R :

Thanks for all the quick answers! So you're all assuming that she is a late bloomer, and not a rooster, right? [​IMG]

It's pretty easy to tell if you have a rooster or not. By this point you would be seeing some of the secondary sex characteristics coming in- saddle feathers, pointed hackle feathers, and possibly spurs. BOs are late bloomers whether they are male or female, but at this point you should be able to formulate some suspicions as to whether your bird is a male or female.

Good luck.​

10. S*T*A*R

Oct 3, 2010
    Ok as far as combs go for BO hens, they're very tiny, right? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by