How old is my pullet?

Bateleur

In the Brooder
Apr 8, 2015
I recently lost one of my two hens, so I wanted to give my lonely hen, Scarlet, a new companion. Unfortunately I had a hard time finding anybody in the area who would sell me a single adult hen, so I settled on getting an older pullet to introduce to Scarlet. This morning I bought a RIR pullet that I was told be 19-21 weeks old, but I'm beginning to question her age as she still has a little bit of peep in her voice and is about half the size of my hen. Unfortunately, it's been nearly three years since I last raised pullets so I've completely forgotten what they should look like at this age and I can't get a straight answer from Google.

I named the new girl Saffron and she's currently being quarantined in a dog crate next to the hutch Scarlet sleeps in.

I've done a lot of research about introducing an older pullet to a hen, but is she actually TOO young?

She does look about that age for her breed, 3-4 months would be my guess. With only another hen to worry about I would start by penning them side by side for a week or so then letting them mingle to see how it goes. I'm assuming you will keep her quarantined for a bit.

She does look about that age for her breed, 3-4 months would be my guess. With only another hen to worry about I would start by penning them side by side for a week or so then letting them mingle to see how it goes. I'm assuming you will keep her quarantined for a bit.
Hmm, I paid a specific price for a 5 month old (younger birds were priced less) so I can't say I wouldn't be disappointed if she was in fact younger. :( I'm keeping her quarantined for at least a week before I let them interact up close but she can still see the hen and vice versa.

Last edited:
I recently lost one of my two hens, so I wanted to give my lonely hen, Scarlet, a new companion. Unfortunately I had a hard time finding anybody in the area who would sell me a single adult hen, so I settled on getting an older pullet to introduce to Scarlet. This morning I bought a RIR pullet that I was told be 19-21 weeks old, but I'm beginning to question her age as she still has a little bit of peep in her voice and is about half the size of my hen. Unfortunately, it's been nearly three years since I last raised pullets so I've completely forgotten what they should look like at this age and I can't get a straight answer from Google.

I named the new girl Saffron and she's currently being quarantined in a dog crate next to the hutch Scarlet sleeps in.

I've done a lot of research about introducing an older pullet to a hen, but is she actually TOO young?
Just to be clear, you're not really quarantining, but segregating.....
.....true bio quarantine they would be kept in separate buildings far apart with no sharing of air or equipment, including keepers clothes and shoes.

If she's still cheeping, she's probably closer to 3-4 months than 5, but it's pretty impossible to tell exactly unless you hatched them yourself.

Age to integrate is not set in stone. much depends on the situation. Single bird with single bird might go easier than single bird into a flock.
Couple few weeks side by side then let them out together, multiple feed/water stations, places to hide out of line of sight(but not dead end trap) and/or up and away from aggressors can help a lot.
Lots of different ways to do it, use your common sense and observations to determine what is working and what is not.

Do you have a run or free range?

Just to be clear, you're not really quarantining, but segregating.....
.....true bio quarantine they would be kept in separate buildings far apart with no sharing of air or equipment, including keepers clothes and shoes.

If she's still cheeping, she's probably closer to 3-4 months than 5, but it's pretty impossible to tell exactly unless you hatched them yourself.

Age to integrate is not set in stone. much depends on the situation. Single bird with single bird might go easier than single bird into a flock.
Couple few weeks side by side then let them out together, multiple feed/water stations, places to hide out of line of sight(but not dead end trap) and/or up and away from aggressors can help a lot.
Lots of different ways to do it, use your common sense and observations to determine what is working and what is not.

Do you have a run or free range?
Thanks for the advice.

My hen free ranges in the backyard and sleeps in an indoor hutch (though also gets housed in there during extreme weather).

Back
Top Bottom