1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How old is too old for eating rooster?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by BBQJOE, Mar 5, 2016.

1. BBQJOE

BBQJOE Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Void where prohibited.
    I have a huge americauna rooster.He is between 5-6 months old, and is way too hard on the hens, I'm thinking he may have to go.
    Is he too old for baking or BBQing, or is he just right?

2. phillip26

phillip26 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2016
    Should be about right at this time.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Joe, if it were me I’d cut him into serving pieces, coat the pieces with herbs like oregano and basil, maybe some parsley or thyme, put those pieces in a tightly sealed baking dish, and cook him in the oven at 250 degrees for about 3 hours. You could get by with less time but why rush it. And save the juices. That is a tremendously rich broth.

I’ll match your Middle of Nowhere and raise you Five Miles Outside of Not Much.

4. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Two stoplights in our entire county. No house to house mail delivery. No grocery store or bank. 50 miles one way to the nearest Walmart. 100 miles one way for medical care. Entire population of town can fit in the Log Gym Community Center. Traffic jam twice a year, when Crosby's move their cattle right through town to the east in fall, west in spring. Livestock and unrestricted poultry allowed within town limits. I'll call!

The day I took this, I was going to the post office to get my mail. I propped my camera up in the windshield, went in, got my mail, came back out and waited. At the end of the video Jo Crosby rides past on her horse. They are her cattle. Oh, and Jo is a beautiful woman inside and out, and in her mid 70s.

[​IMG]

5. willr

willr Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2014
    How about an almost one year old rooster? I know he is "stewable" but any other suggestions? He's gotta go.

6. newwestchick

newwestchick Chillin' With My Peeps

You can rest that roo for several days in the fridge (3-4), the put him in a tight Dutch oven with a little water in the bottom. Cook at 300 for a few hours, it will poach him and the meat will be more tender. You can use this as a first step to making soup or a crock pot dish with the cooked meat.

7. BBQJOE

BBQJOE Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Void where prohibited.
    Here's my middle of nowhere

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by