How Old is Your Oldest Chicken?

Hi everyone!
I thought I might post a thread up about this because curiousity always gets the better of me. How old has your oldest chicken lived up to? I don't mind if they've passed away or are still living, let me know and we'll see if you can beat my current chicken-aged record. :)

It's up to you if you believe me or not, but I currently have a chicken who is 13 years old and still going strong! I know, it's crazy. Normally, the average age our chickens usually live up to is around 4-6 years. So she's defiantly the oldest chicken we've ever owned, and it's pretty amazing. Because she's lived as long as she has, my family and I always joke around that she'll beat the world record for the oldest chicken. Her name is Lavender. Her breed is pure-bred Araucana. She has gone through a lot of trials in her life like floods, droughts and fox-encounters, and has lived through them all. She's seen almost all of the chickens we've had come and go and even though she's old, no one is allowed to mess with her or else they'll get a good reminder of who the alpha-chicken is. She's defiantly the one in charge. Extremely stubborn and bossy in personality. She doesn't act her age at all. She still runs to me when I call for food, she joins in with the young girls and scratches and takes dustbaths, and recently, she even decided to lay an egg! I feel like this is extremely abnormal behaviour for a chicken of her age, but I'm happy as long as she's healthy and happy. She's a free range girl like the rest of our chickens, so she's free to do what she pleases most of the time. I don't know how long exactly she's going to live for, but she's defiantly a special little lady and I hope she continues to live for as long as she can.

Is your girl still around?

My oldest is going to be 11 in a couple months. She is an early July baby. I guess that makes her 10&1/2 now.

Bantam black cochin...likely origin is Ideal hatchery.

Next oldest is 9&1/2. Bantam silver laced cochin.

Several others are 5-6 (large breed assorted hens and brahmas) and still going strong.

I have not needed to change anything as far as taking care of them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom