How Old is Your Oldest Chicken?

Very fascinating news. Now I wonder what the egg production is on the older girls? I know the OP had her alpha drop an egg recently... So how often?
My oldest chicken is a bantam called Agent Brown (all my bantams have spy names) who is 8-9 years old and still lays eggs but they are very deformed.

20200305_232750.jpg

My second oldest chicken is called Scooby and she is an 8 year old Speckledy LF hen. She stopped laying eggs when she was 5 or 6 years old.

20200223_160255.jpg

I have various other chickens who are between 6 years old and 9 months old. 😊

My oldest chicken made it to 12 years old. A Speckled Sussex.
She limped from arthritis, had a chipped off upper beak (when she was 10) rarely ever laid and egg after 9, but hands down was the BEST momma hen I ever had and earned her spot as my red speckled queen.
She was my all time favorite bird and I was so sad when she finally succumbed to age. :hit

My oldest chicken made it to 12 years old. A Speckled Sussex.
She limped from arthritis, had a chipped off upper beak (when she was 10) rarely ever laid and egg after 9, but hands down was the BEST momma hen I ever had and earned her spot as my red speckled queen.
She was my all time favorite bird and I was so sad when she finally succumbed to age. :hit
I'm so sorry for your loss. 😭 Losing your favourite bird is always tough and sad. But I'm sure she was very loved and cared for.

What's the secret? I REALLY REALLY want mine to live long.
For me personally, there's no real "secret" to looking after a chicken that has lived as long as she has. She has never had special treatment and has lived under the same conditions as my other 4 girls that I currently have. Genetics may play a bigger role for my particular chicken, but as long as you feed them adequately with an assorted diet, give them enough space to explore and forage, let them have a social life and tend to their needs in any given environment, your chickens should thrive. I hope that helps! 😊

For me personally, there's no real "secret" to looking after a chicken that has lived as long as she has. She has never had special treatment and has lived under the same conditions as my other 4 girls that I currently have. Genetics may play a bigger role for my particular chicken, but as long as you feed them adequately with an assorted diet, give them enough space to explore and forage, let them have a social life and tend to their needs in any given environment, your chickens should thrive. I hope that helps! 😊

Yes, it does help. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom