How old should a pullet be before attempting to hatch their eggs?

PegramPoultryProprietor

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 21, 2010
Is there a good minimum age a pullet should be before trying to hatch eggs they produce? I am guessing about a year old, but I'm curious if anyone has had success from eggs laid by younger pullets. Most of my girls have been laying for 4 months + and are laying nice size fertile eggs. I am concerned that I would hatch less than desirable flock stock from younger laying hens.

The age of the pullet doesn't matter so much, it's the size of the egg that of most concern. If your girls have been laying for 4+ months, I would say they should be big enough and fine, go ahead and hatch some chicks.

I successfully hatched eggs from my 6 month old pullets. Who had been laying for only 1-2 months.

I had a tiny Black-tailed white Japanese hen that starting laying at 4 months old! Of course her eggs were tiny. I wasn't aware at the time that pullets eggs dont hatch well so I was putting all her eggs in the bator. About the first two weeks of eggs would not hatch, after that they hatched into tiny little Japanese babies! It may be an individual thing. Good luck!

I used egg from young hen only lay about 3 weeks. The rooster is making a lot noise so I have to got rid of him before the neighbor complain. The egg currently in the incubator 7 days. Will see how it turn out soon.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom