How old should chicks be before transferring to the coop

Cly

Chirping
Aug 16, 2021
We have 16 chicks that are one month old. We have been letting them outside in a separate pen every day. I had no idea when to transfer them to the chicken coop. Especially when there are three hens from the last batch. I can’t remember how they were before putting them in their house. These new chicks were purchased from a hatchery and are healthy and rambunctious little stinkers. If they were born to a hand that was free ranging, I would be following their mom around everywhere by now. Thank you, Cly

I guess I should read this and make sure spellcheck did it’s job before I post, Huh? I couldn’t remember how old the last batch of chickens were before we put them in the coop. And if these new chicks were free ranging with their mom, they would be running around with her outside by now.thanks again. Cly

So you think I should wait for five months before transferring? It is my understanding that it takes about that long before they start laying eggs. I would have to take a recent picture because and the one I how was a week ago and you know how fast they grow……

Like maybe a month
older than this one

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    332.7 KB · Views: 16
Don't you just love autocorrect! #$_&+(+&_# :eek: we end up with some doozies for sure.
I think it depends on temperatures at night, and being fully feathered. Mine were about 6-8 weeks old? Ha I can't remember either. More folks will jump on this thread and clarify better than I .
Also whether they withstand a clobbering from hens

Will depend on a lot of factors.

Have they been in sight of the main flock? Integration should always start with a see but don't touch approach for at least a week. Preferably with them being in a high-traffic area where they are in constant contact with the big girls.

Is it warm enough outside, including night time, for them to be without heat?

Are they interested in roosting or still going to ground to rest?

Are they much smaller than the big girls?

Is there ample space in the run, extra feed and water stations, areas where they can hide that breaks eye contact, but doesn't leave them cornered?

I would recommend letting them explore the run without the big girls present - I generally let mine free-range while the babies get used to the run. This way, they won't be running blind in territory they're not familiar with if they need to escape.

Also, introducing them one big girl at a time to see if anyone in particular is a troublemaker.

I put them out with their food and see which the big girl is more interested in. Be ready to step in - older hens can move pretty quick to attack.

'neutral ground's is better for this than 'home turf', so outside the run or in an area they don't frequent is best.

Chicks tend to start their pecking order behaviour at around 6 weeks, so would be an okay time if you can tick off the list above. Just remember, without a broody to protect them, it will be rough on them. You will have to step in as that broody to make sure things go smoothly.

Also, be extra vigilant at roosting time. Older girls tend to force younger ones off the perches and this is when I've experienced the most bullying in my flock. They can completely ignore them all day, then force them to sleep on the floor when it comes time to sleep, so make sure you're there to chaperone.

Shes 4 months
Also whether they withstand a clobbering from hens
yes, spellcheck can’t get you into some real drama LOL! The little stinkers are getting so big and so rambunctious so fast that if we didn’t have the three old hands to tend to, we could probably get away with putting them in the coop. That’s what we were able to do with the last batch, just throw them all in together. But like you said, it just depends on how much of a clobbering they can take from the old hens. Lol. Thank you for your advice

Back
Top Bottom