How old should my chicks be to go outside?

Beakz

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 31, 2012
I have 2 5 week old chicks how old should they be when they go outside? i am in nothern california. also they will be in a pen in a barn do they need a heat lamp with them or will it be warm enough?

I waited until mine were fully feathered on their heads, about 4 weeks. I have a red heat lamp in a corner of their coop just in case they get cold. I am in East Texas, so cool nights and warm days right now.

I have 2 5 week old chicks how old should they be when they go outside? i am in nothern california. also they will be in a pen in a barn do they need a heat lamp with them or will it be warm enough?
Don't know what part of the north you're in, but if you have a secure, draft proof coop and your birds are fully feathered I'd wait until 8 to 12 weeks. I turn off the lights as soon as mine feather out and make sure they handle the brooder first. The bad thing about heat in a coop and I know plenty of people do it, but for me, not heat. If the power goes off and they aren't used to being without it and can get sick from the drastic change. JMHO

What kind of chickens? Normally about 6 weeks, but it depends on what temperatures they have been in and their breed/size. You might want to put them outside during the day and inside during the night for a week if you don't want to wait longer. I waited until mine had feathers on their head, but I had the heat lamp off for a bit before that. I am in San Jose.

OK, so I'm in AL and our nights have been 40's but days 70's. Our chicks have always gone out during the days as soon as it starts warming up, and back in at night after it starts cooling off. We left our most feathered out last night with a lamp, and still found one this morning that seemed cold (fluffed up, shivering, trying to dive up under everyone else) so we moved that one in with the inside chicks. We're not sure how old they are. We were told when we got them about a month ago that they were 1-2 weeks, so that would make them 5-6 weeks now. I know absolutely nothing about chicks that I haven't learned on here! Our most feathered chicks are mostly feathered up the head and only have a few bald spots under wings, but our least feathered ones have no feathers on heads, some haven't even gotten back feathers yet, and some have some bald spots on wings, so we're planning on keeping those inside for another week or so. Does this sound like a good plan or am I waaaaayyyyyy off?

you should just wait on more week then they will be able to go outside
big_smile.png
. when they are about 7 weeks old.

Back
Top Bottom