How old till they can go in big coop?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chicken Girl, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Chicken Girl

Chicken Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Ok so my baby chicks will be 3 weeks on friday. They are in a brooder with there mommy. All the other birds can see them. And they have seen the but not been abul to get to them. So when can they go in to the big coop? I have all white leghorns and a buff cochin roo. And the leghorns are not vary nice. Here are some pics.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Mom is a bantum white/frizzle cochin. All other birds are biger then her. Thanks for the help!!

Chicken Girl

2. purecountrychicken

purecountrychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    Gray Court, SC
    I have always been told when they are about the same size as the older chickens.

3. Chicken Girl

Chicken Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Quote:Oh wow! That will be a long time! LOL Mom is going crazy in the little box brooder. So when all the other chickens are out side i let them out in the coop.

Chicken Girl

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
  5. Delta2 23

Delta2 23 Flock Master

Sep 4, 2008
    I've only ever had my two chickens, and they went straight outside when we got them, they were two weeks old.

They were surprisingly able to scare off cats and other pigeons and stuff.

6. LoveMyBirds

LoveMyBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Quote:I'm not an expert on this, but here's my experience this year..

I had silver duckwing pheonix with 8 little chicks total.. After about a week I let them go out together to see if the roosters wanted to kill any while I was watching..

To my surprise they ran over and started scratching like momma. I also have the BR Turkeys and didn't know what they might do.. But the turkeys weren't interested in them either..

After about 1 week momma quit being momma..

The weather turned cold and rainy here so I put the 8 little chicks in the other side with a setting little red hen on 5 eggs.

After 2nd day, little red quit the eggs and started being their momma, which messed my hatch up, (I got them in the incubator now, but do not know if they were cold to long or not.)

But this is about a week now and the little red hen is still being momma and very protective ...

Hope this might give you some insight.. I'm sure there's different personalities in the different breeds..

7. shawnm2639

shawnm2639 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Woodlake Ca
    HELP...its 38 degrees outside at 5:30am and i am sitting here wondering if I should bring my 5 wk old BR chicks in. It was 70-80 all week 40-50 at night but tonight it was another freak (semi) freeze. 3rd this year...the other times I actually brought them in but I am alone and can't pick up the cage. They are in a converted wire dog kennel 3X4 with chicken wire covering it. I have put sheets and a blanket over all of it but have gone out on porch 3 times to check on the little buggers....a drop light maybe? seems bright but it would be warm with a 60w bulb..hope I get a answer from you early birds...this forum is definetly addicting:bow

My humble sorries if this is the wrong thread...just thought baby chicks to little to go into coop (only chicks no adults)

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  8. Crickett

Crickett Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Heart of Dixie
    I don't know a whole lot, being new to this myself, but I would think that a drop light wouldn't hurt anything. As long as they could get away from the heat source if it became too much.[​IMG]

9. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    If they have a hen to watch them they should be fine, she'll protect them. give it a go and watch them really close- if she's not watching after them put them back in the brooder.

10. valentinebaby

valentinebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Sherman-Denison, TX
    Quote:I too used an extra large converted dog carrier (plastic carrier kind) and since I was not as prepared as I should have been, I simply put an old lamp with a 60 watt bulb in one corner with wood blocks wedged against it to prevent tipping over. (I would not recommend this as a long-term solution, however, but it did work!) My chicks were left in my studio outside with a separate floor heater on that was able to bring the room temp up closer to 50. When they were close to 3 and 4 weeks old, and on days when the outside temp got closer to 65, I transferred them to a small outside wire cage and put them out in the sun and you would have thought they had gone to camp - they loved it. I had read in a post if you expose them to safe, but lower temps, it will help their feathers come in faster. I also used this time to hold each one for just a few seconds so they would become accustomed to me. You can calm them down while holding by making a nice shushing sound - they'll stop and listen. If you use a light bulb, you will eventually have to start turning it off for 25 mins or so every day, so that they don't freak out when they are left in the coop and night time comes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by