How old to move out?

fleenorfarmmom

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 9, 2008
Blountville, Tn
I live in upper East Tennessee. Our nights are 20's -40's, and days are same, today has been near 70. I have a well insulated chicken house that houses 7 hens and rooster. There is a pen inside the house I plan to put the chicks in. It has a light but no heat. How old will they need to be to stay out there and make it? I am making an artificial hen out of a clay pot and lightbulb that they will be able to huddle to for warmth. I hesitate to use the heatlamp bulb out there. A fire would be devastating. Some are still acting funny and I thought about moving the hardy ones out there and keeping the weaker acting ones in for a few days. I just don't want to move them out there too soon. They're not a problem in the room they are in but they are growing so they seem crowded and I think they would love the room to play in. They are 3-4 weeks old and getting fluffy.

Your chicks aren't going to fully feather out til they are 8 to 10 weeks old and make it without a heatlamp in this weather....you will lose them...they chill and die off quickly without heat...

At 3 or 4 weeks old they still need temps of 75 to 80 under a heatlamp....

I wasn't sure how old they needed to be. They have grown so much and are so fluffy, but they are still babies. The chicks we had in the past we had later in the year. I guess I'd better wait a few more weeks. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom