How Old When Combs and Wattles Form.

Booswalia

Songster
10 Years
Jun 28, 2009
Prince Edward Island, CAN
Hi, I have 2 Delawares and 1 White Rock. The Delawares have had a comb and wattle since I got them and they've been laying every day for the past couple of weeks.

The White Rock seems to be younger but bigger than the other two. She doesn't have a comb or wattle yet and they seem to be taking a long time to develop. I don't know how old she is and I'm just wondering if the comb and wattle form before they start to lay or what the sequence of development is.

Not sure on those breeds but my Buff Orpington cockerel had a comb and wattles at just a few weeks old. Some take longer. It helps to have a few of the same breed to compare so it was easy for me to know who was who.

Well, I'm sure she's at least 18 weeks old. She's bigger than the two Delawares that are fully grown and laying.

This is her about 2 weeks ago.

Stu.jpg

I have 2 white plymouth rocks and they are 15 weeks old this week. They are just now starting to grow their combs. They are not bright red, just kinda pink.

My Delaware is 17 weeks old and looks just like that, but a little more red on the comb and wattles. She's not laying. (I know you said she was a White Rock, but looks so similar comb and wattle size to Delarware.) How old are your Delawares?

Thanks Chickluvr. Mine are probably around the same age then because I notice the comb is just barely starting to develop now.

I don't know how old the Delawares are. I was told they were just starting to lay when I got them and as it turned out one was laying and the other started within about 2 weeks. They both looked like this when I got them...

curley2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom