how old when they pair

Guineas can start breeding and laying as early as 16 weeks. I've seen mine pair up, or form small sub-flocks anywhere between 10 and 12 weeks old tho.

woe thank you Peepsca
bow.gif
Peepsca

picking up some chocolates and some buffs any help on sexing they are 10 to 12 weeks old i read the females are darker than male is this true in your birds any info will help looking at guineafarm they say the female is darker than males in the chocolates and buffs

Usually my Buff Hens are darker than the males, but I have only hatched out about a dozen Chocolates...and all have been Hens. I thinkit's safe to say the Hens would be darker than the males in this color too tho. Post pics, maybe I can tell. If all else fails, separate the lights and darks and listen for buck-wheating, Only the Hens will make this 2-syllable call. It's fail proof for me when I'm ID'n females, unless they clam up and don't make a sound, lol.

Last edited:
Quote:
I've heard mine very clearly buck-wheating as early 5-6 wks old, so if yours are 10-12wks the Hens should be buck-wheating their tails off by now
wink.png

Quote:
I've heard mine very clearly buck-wheating as early 5-6 wks old, so if yours are 10-12wks the Hens should be buck-wheating their tails off by now
wink.png

Seconded. Mine are 5.5 weeks and I've heard several 'timid' (relatively!) buck-wheats the last few days. Mine are also French Guineas (full disclaimer
wink.png
)

Back
Top Bottom