How Old Will the stop reproducing?

koakritters

Songster
8 Years
Jan 27, 2011
Petaluma
How old will hens stop laying eggs? my little frizzle is only 2 and a half and she stopped laying eggs last year, and hasn't laid any in over a year. The crested hen i got that was born same day as her is still laying eggs.
Also anyone know anything about him?

7083329.jpg

He was given to me after being dumped on my friend's farm, and now that he's giving me fertile eggs, i should probably know what he actually is so i know what the chicks are... I'm sure someone here can tell me.
smile.png
I'm not that well versed on chicken breeds, I only know the ones I've bought myself. Is there a way to tell how old he is or anything? And how old will roosters be before they stop producing? Thanks.

Last edited:
I have 5 year olds still shooting out eggs like a slot machine. I think it depends on the breed, genetics and the general health of the bird.

I cull for egg laying ability, so these 5 year olds aren't just laying sporadically...they lay every day or every other, depending on the chicken. Any chicken that doesn't lay that frequently gets cut from my flock.

I have six year old ees that just started back up. A lot depends on the breeds--silkies and cresteds aren't known for being great layers to start with. My breeds are geared toward laying.

Many hens lay throughout their lifetime at a decreasing rate as they age. The rooster is an attractive crossbred. Many/most roosters remain fertile throughout their lifetime.

Back
Top Bottom