How old will this breed need to be to start laying???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chicks_N_Horses, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    Getting some Black Copper Maran chicks in a couple weeks. How old do they have to get before they start laying? Also, how long is their laying cycle?

2. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    The average time for pullets to start laying is between 20 to 24 weeks. Some may lay sooner and some may be longer. I had one that was nearly 30 weeks before she layed her first egg. and one of my hens and one of my pullets were both 17 weeks when they layed their first eggs. There most productive years are the first 2/3 yrs. I have read on this forum of some laying still though not as often at 9 yrs old.

3. Morgaine

Morgaine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    Texas
    In general I think it is 4-6 months before they lay. I don't know if Copper Marans are a late maturing breed or not. Wish I could give you a better answere.

4. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] Very funny. I love this place. BYC: where hens lay roosters...

5. swtamour

swtamour Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Silicon Valley
    Does anyone know how many e g g Marans lay in a year? I was told they're not good layer so I went with RIR but I may get a Maran if they lay as much as RIR. I just bought 3 RIR two weeks ago so I'm new at this. Thanks.

6. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    Thanks.....I am wondering too about how many the lay as well....and what time of the year they lay.

7. Delta2 23

Delta2 23 Flock Master

Sep 4, 2008
    WEll i've never had marans before, but many chickens lay between 20 to 26 weeks old....

chickens lay all year round but e g g production drops when it is very hot or very cold. also when they moult, in autumn/late summer [​IMG]

It is very weird. Rooster comes up when I try to write e g g

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by