how quickly do chickens destroy the ground?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Renthorin, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Renthorin

Renthorin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    Dexter Michigan
    I'm going to have a large run for them, as well as a tractor so they can free range, but be protected from the monsters that lurk in the woods around the house.

How quickly do chickens destroy a yard if you don't move the tractor often enough? Will they rip the grass up in one day or one week?

I'm planning on 8-10 hens and the tractor will be 6*10 probably. Haven't fully designed it yet so it may be larger.

The run is 6x12 at the moment but may become 6x24 if I get more dog kennel panels.

2. Nonny

Nonny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I have three chooks, and they've been in their run for 2 months. The run was broadleaf grass and groundcover plants and looked lovely and green, now it's dirt. The run is roughly 20ft x 6 ft.

I should also add that they freerange in the backyard for at least 6 hours most days, so they only spend mornings and evenings in their run.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  3. Kudzu

Kudzu Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    Mine have dug some pretty impressive holes in the 5-6 weeks they have been in their run.

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Our hens have always been addicted to scratching, digging and such, thus they (dozen hens) destroy a pristine grass run of 12x20 within 3 days. YMMV.

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Of course it will depend on what is growing there and how well it is established. This photo was taken after three days. The tractor was 64 square feet (two 4' x 8' sections that I joined.) I had eight full sized chickens in it. It did rain while they were there and that made it a worse than it would have been if it had been dry. It was a former horse pasture so the stuff was reasonably well established, but I mowed it shortly before I moved them to this spot. Mine stayed in it day and night.

Hope this helps answer your question.

[​IMG]

6. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    Ridgerunner....how did you get a picture of my yard?

bahahahaha....chickens can eat some green stuff pretty darn fast!

7. SanctusPullus

SanctusPullus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Austin, Texas
    My Coop
    Quote:WOW! A picture says a thousand words, doesn't it? And here I am trying to sod my yard...

8. Renthorin

Renthorin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    Dexter Michigan
    Uh oh....and I thought my dogs were hard on the yard!

9. Smittenroade

Smittenroade Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    North East Texas
    lol when I saw this thread I just laughed...Very fast! is your answer....lmao [​IMG]

Also, they dig holes....have you ever seen the movie "Holes"? They should have used chickens instead of children...

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by