How rat proof is hardware cloth?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Chickiemom25, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Chickiemom25

Chickiemom25 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    North Alabama
    My run is 4 feet high and hardware cloth but the roof is chicken wire.. I notice something has tried landing/walking on it but it is holding.. Can rats run up the hardware cloth to get in the ceiling?

We are in So Cal in the city so the rats are not especially large....

2. fireguy56

fireguy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Hey, from down South. Rats are and have been the scurge of mankind for eon's. They can chew through just about anything. Especially the one s ya migh have in OC, like the our big boys in New Orleans. Hardware cloth is tough, should be fine. If run area not to big, I'd hardware cloth top as well if not too cost prohibitive. Anything to keep the girls safe. Good Luck.
    Erik

3. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes they can, they are basically bald squirrels! The hardware cloth should protect them if you avoid the cheap stuff

4. bitbythechick

bitbythechick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2010
    Corvallis
    Are you saying that rats will eat chickens??? Or just worried about the chicken food? Or them eating the eggs? We put Bite Bar outside the coop where the chickens can't get to it and posion them so that we don't have a problem with them. It works on Oregon rats:/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by